98 - In Real Life

Date: September 27, 2014

Noise.

Pain.

Light.

White light.

So much pain...

Whispers.

Tears.

Beeping.

Voices.

Louder.

Louder!

Louder!!

Alyssa's eyes shot open with a start, but she didn't dare move from the comfortable position on the hospital bed, letting her eyes adjust to the bright light. She subtly glanced to the left, spotting her father, mother, sister, and two brothers stood near her bed, talking to a doctor, and no one knew that she was awake yet.

So, she did what any normal person would do: she eavesdropped in on their conversation.

"What do you mean?" Her father, Phil, hissed angrily at the doctor. "Look at the state of my daughter. I want justice!"

"And you will get that justice." The doctor reassured. "We have just discovered that the car crash might not have been accidental. According to the records that we have collected from witnesses, and mechanics that have been hired to look after the wreck, we have found out that the brakes of the vehicle were faulty."

"Meaning?" Alyssa's older 37 year old brother, Simon, pressed impatiently.

"Meaning that a part was missing from the engine. The part that connected it to the brakes. Someone had purposefully sabotaged the car." The doctor informed. "We see a lot of aggression in the form of haters directed at celebrities, but no hater has ever felt this much hatred to form an attack on a celebrity before."

"Did you catch them? The person who is responsible for what happened to my little girl?" Alyssa's mother, Jill, questioned as she dabbed a tissue to her glassy eyes. The doctor glanced at her.

"Yes, we have, from the CCTV footage located outside of the garage where the car was parked last night. He is now behind bars immediately as we have all the evidence we needed."

Hearing enough of the conversation, Alyssa let out a groan as she made herself known. Immediately, her family and the doctor all turned towards her.

"Rosie! Honey!" Jill rushed forward, using the childhood nickname for her second youngest child, and hugged Alyssa tightly. But Alyssa immediately winced in pain, causing Jill to jump back. "Sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine, mom." Alyssa weakly chuckled, and — with the help of her dad — she managed to pull herself up into a sitting position on the bed. "Where's Ian? Or Candice a-and Phoebe?"

"They were here earlier. All of them. Most of them were reluctant to leave, but they haven't left your side. The room was beginning to get extremely crowded with everyone, so they eventually went home to rest." Alyssa's older 41 year old sister, Honey, stated. "They'll be back later."

Yes, there were huge age gaps between Alyssa and her siblings. The oldest, Honey, was seventeen years older than Alyssa, and she'd just turned 41. The second oldest, Simon, was thirteen years older than Alyssa, and he was 37. And then, it was Alyssa, who was 24. The youngest Williams child, Nicholas, was twelve years younger than Alyssa, and he was 12. Yes, there was a 29 year age gap between the oldest sibling and the youngest. It was a real shocker! Their parents were both 60.

"What happened?" Alyssa's voice came out dry and quiet. The doctor sent her a sympathetic look.

"You were brought in here with a gash in your forehead, cuts across her arms, legs, and face — some were deep, and you got lucky with others. Lastly, we had to remove a large shard of glass that had been embedded deeply in your abdomen, so you will have a scar, I'm afraid."

"What about Nate? My driver. W-where is he?"

"Mr Nate Milsward arrived here at the same time as you did. He died not long after from a collapsed lung." The doctor told after checking her clipboard. Alyssa's eyes flooded with tears.

"No... this is all my fault! I asked him to-- Oh God, he had a whole family... he had a kid..." Alyssa started to sob, remembering how she had told him to speed up. "I need my friends! Bring me Ian. Please! O-or Candice and Phoebe. Or Nina!"

"Honey... they'll be back later..." Jill whispered softly. Alyssa let out one last sob, mixed with a whimper of pain, as she let her head hit the pillow again. Absentmindedly, her hand rested on her stomach, but her whole body froze.

Flat?

Her stomach was flat.

"What? No." Alyssa threw the covers aside, staring with wide eyes at her flat stomach. "No! W-what happened? M-my kids?" At her words, Jill immediately began sobbing again. The doctor stared at Alyssa with so much pity.

"Your children didn't make it, Miss Williams, I'm sorry..."

That one sentence. Who knew that one sentence could bring down somebody's entire world so quickly?

She screamed, and screamed, and screamed. For the loss of her children, for the loss of Nate, for the longing to be comforted by her friends, to not wanting to be the one to break the news to Zac. She just screamed.

She turned into a broken shell...