Bailed (Chapter Thirty)

Foxy pecked on the bars of the windowsill to a godawful attempt at "Bad to the Bone." You cringed at his endeavor, but you continued to pet Freddy. Freddy quivered as you ran your finger across his wing.

"Looks like it's your lucky day!" you heard Todd exclaim.

Freddy and the rest quickly flew out the window, as to not be seen. Bon-Bon huffed and scurried up the wall. He crawled between the bars and hung on the ledge. Todd walked around the corner, swinging his keys around his finger. He looked at you and smirked.

"What do you mean?" you wondered as you raised a brow.

"Someone gave me bail money . . . to bail you out," he said as he unlocked the cell door.

"Aren't you supposed to go through this whole process, though?" you asked.

"Look, I'm new here. Some guy gave me money, to bail you out. You want out, or not?" he gushed as he held open the cell door.

"Um, yeah." You stepped out of the cell.

"You can just . . . go on, now," he advised as he counted the stack of money.

"But, won't you get in trouble?" you worried.

"Really, only a few people have heard about the report, and as far as they know, you've already been sent off to jail in some other state. So, sooner or later, they'll just forget about the whole thing. I mean, it wasn't that big of a deal anyways. The man's got a company that makes hundreds of dollars a day. How exactly is what you did gonna affect him? Huh?" Todd babbled.

"Oh, I suppose you make a good point. Who is he?" you wondered.

"Who's who?" he asked as his eyes remained on the wad of cash.

"The man who bailed me out. What is his name?"

"The money was at the doorstep in an envelope. It had a note that said that it was money to get you out. So, I never even met him."

"But, then- . . . Whatever. Well, bye, then." You sighed as you walked towards the front doors.

"Bye," Todd mumbled as he continued to count his money.

You opened the doors, then squinted as the sunset reflected off of your eyes. You looked around at the bustling of the city, the cool breeze making you shiver. Something fell onto your head and you froze. The fluttering of wings caught your attention above you. A bird flew onto your shoulder, and now looking at it, you saw that it was just Freddy. You could barely see Bon-Bon's ears above you.

"Hello," Freddy whispered into your ear.

Ballora landed on your other shoulder and sat down. Foxy and Baby were flying by your sides, twisting around as they competed for who could do the coolest tricks. You grinned as you walked down the sidewalk. You didn't know for sure what you were gonna do. You had nothing, and although Freddy, Foxy, Baby, and Ballora, were with you, you felt alone.

"Go into that alley," Baby said as she and Foxy flew over.

"Why?" you asked, although following them anyways.

"So we can change back into humans," Baby stated as she did so.

Foxy did as Baby and tugged at his bowtie. Ballora and Freddy flew off of your shoulders and morphed as they stopped. Freddy looked at you and grinned goofily. Ballora brushed herself off and looked at you. You started back towards the sidewalk, continuing to shuffle along. Freddy caught up with you and walked by your side. He looked at his feet when you looked over at him. His eyes widened and he looked up.