Introduction (Chapter One)

You sighed as boredom washed over you. At this time of night, you would usually listen to the couple in the room beside you bicker and argue. Tonight, though, they seemed to have gone to some fast food place. Speaking of fast food, that was all you could afford for the time being. About two months ago, you had moved out of your parents' house and into a hotel--deciding to become an independent person. You started working at Walmart, just to make a little extra money. The first hotel you stayed at was too expensive, and by the time you got into this one, you were running low on money. Despite knowing that college gives you money to help you through this kind of stuff, you just didn't have the motivation to stress about tests or people. You worked as a stocker at Walmart, so you were usually on your own. You had requested some unpaid time off so you could let go of some of your stress.

You finally sat up from your bed--stretching out a bit, as you had been lying there for almost an hour--and headed towards the kitchen. You opened up the small fridge and stared at the--nearly empty--shelves. There were only beverages and condiments. You sighed, slamming the door shut and opening the freezer.

"Guess it's Kid Cuisine again," you muttered to nobody.

You heated up the tray of food and sat on the couch. You ate the nuggets, the macaroni, and the corn. You opened the packet of sprinkles and sprinkled it on your pudding. You finished up and threw away the tray.

Although you knew you couldn't be picky in a situation like this, you couldn't stand another cold chicken nugget. Either you would need to get a new job, or you would have to juggle two at the same time. You sighed, propping your feet up on the couch. You didn't know of any jobs near you that paid enough, though.

'Maybe I should start looking for another job,' you thought to yourself.

You grabbed your laptop off the coffee table and pulled it into your lap, starting your search for job choices. There had to be something.

~ ~ ~ ~

After searching throughout the internet for some time, you came across an ad that talked about a place you hadn't heard about in years: Circus Baby's Rentals and Entertainment. Originally, they were supposed to have a pizzeria named 'Circus Baby's Pizza World,' but due to gas leaks, they never opened. Now they rented out the animatronics for children's birthday parties. You remembered that you would've had them on one of your birthdays, but they were too expensive. Instead, you were just given merchandise. You'd never really seen the animatronics in person before, just from posters and such, so you didn't care how much the pay was. Besides, you could always get a different job later.

After making a few phone calls, you were satisfied. Although you were working as a late-night technician, and the building was in the middle of nowhere, you were excited. They gave you a code, telling you that you would need it, but not saying anything else of it.

Surprisingly, you started tonight. You looked at the time at the corner of your screen: 10:30 PM. You still had until midnight. Since you had nothing better to do, you decided to browse the internet to pass the time.

11:30 PM came around, and you shut down your laptop. You grabbed your car keys and the keycard to your room. You rode the elevator down to the first floor and headed out the front doors. You hopped in your car and headed off to work.

~ ~ ~ ~

Upon arriving at the building, you noticed that it seemed to be deserted. There was a sign hung on the front of the building with a cartoon-styled picture of the animatronics and the logo on it. The rest of the building was painted white and red. There were glass doors that pushed open.

You walked through the doors and looked around. The place was dark, only lit up by the streetlamps outside. There was a counter to your right, with a cash register and numbered tent cards on it. Behind the counter was a door.