Chapter 39

Zarah

At fifteen minutes before nine in the morning, Zio Alphonso came in and gave us a rundown on what was about to happen and what to expect.

After that an attendant wheeled away Jason from the room to the operating room.

I walked right beside his gurney, holding his hand as he was being wheeled to the operating room.

My heart was pounding.

I continued to hold his hand as far as they would let me, and smiled down at him.

Right before he entered the operating room he asked for a couple minutes so we can have a few words.

"I love you so much, and I'll see you right after, okay?"

He nodded and smiled. "I love you too. So fucking much angel."

I smiled. I bit the inside of my cheeks and clenched my jaw. I don't want to cry in front of him. I don't want to cry. He needs me to be strong for him and that's what I'm going to do.

"I wrote you a letter. It's in the book you had with you. I wrote it just in case..."

"Shh... Don't. You're coming back to me. There is no other option. I won't be reading that letter. There will be no need because you're going to be okay. We're meant to be. You are my soul mate. The love of my life. So you beat this fucker and get back to me," I said.

He laughed.

I leaned down and kissed him.

"Love you," I whispered.

"Love you too, Angel," he said.

"See you soon. We'll be waiting for you," I said as I rub my belly.

His eyes widened in surprise. My words slowly sink in and a smile formed on his lips.

"Really?" He asked.

I nodded. "You're going to be a dad," I said.

"I'm gonna be a dad," he echoed. "Fuck yeah!"

I laughed. "See you soon, baby daddy. We gotta tell our family together."

He nodded and placed his hand on my belly and tears formed in his eyes. "See you soon, " he said back.

He turned back to the attendant and nodded, signalling that he's ready.

"I'll be waiting for you," I said.

"I love you, Angel. I love you," he said as the gurney started moving toward the open door. Then the door shut closed.

I staggered back.

No tears. Don't cry, I kept telling myself.

It took me a few moments to get my self back together again.

I took a deep breath and then started heading back to the private waiting room area that was designated for us.

I walk inside the room and they all stood up.

I succumbed to my tears and cried.

My family drew me into their loving arms as they whisper soothing and comforting words in my ears. Telling me that Jason is strong and that he'll make it and that everything will be okay.

***

"Hey Zarah bear," my brother Massimo sat down beside me and wrapped his arms around me.

He kissed my temple. "He's going to be fine."