Chapter 2

Zarah

I groaned. "I can't believe you agreed to this! You don't even like the opera," I told myself as I looked in front of my mirror. "And you're going by yourself, no less!"

I took one last look in the mirror before I head on out the door.

Marco offered to have his driver, Dale drive me to the opera and I didn't decline.

"Good Evening, Miss Anastasi," he greeted when I exited my building.

"Good evening," I said.

He opened the door for me and I climbed in.

The drive to the opera house was quick. Before I knew it, Dale was opening the door for me and helping me climb out.

"Thanks," I said.

"My pleasure, ma'm. I'll be close by waiting for you, ma'm," he said.

"Oh please, you don't have to do that. Please go home, I'll take a cab on the way home..."

He starts shaking his head. "I have orders from..."

"Dale, please. Tell Marco I insisted on not making you wait 3 hours. Please, I'll be fine," I assured him.

He looked torn, but I know he didn't want to argue with me so he gave me a curt nod. "If you change..."

I shook my head. "I won't. Have a good evening Dale and thanks for driving me here," I said and headed inside the theatre.

I was already dreading the next couple of hours. I don't know what it is about the opera, but it has always given me the creeps. The setting of the opera theatre just makes me uneasy. I always feel like someone's going to sneak up behind me and grab me.

I shivered at the thought.

"Stop it, Zarah! You're overreacting!" I told myself.

According to my ticket, my seat is at box D. I went in search of box D. It wasn't hard to find since there were usher's to help you to your seat.

"You're companion is already seated, ma'm. Enjoy the show," she said to me.

I frowned. Companion? I shrugged. Someone must have bought a ticket and chose the seat in the same box.

As I was moving closer, I saw the back of the head of a man, sitting in the seat beside mine.

I don't know why, but my heart started pounding.

I shrug it off.

He's just a man who's here to watch the play, just like you are. No need to...

My thoughts were cut off when the man shifted as if sensing my presence.

He shifted and turned to my direction slowly, and recognition dawned on me. I'd know that masculine form anywhere.

I stood frozen in place, wishing I was wrong.

Oh god no!

Then he stood up and fully turned and I came face to face with the man I have been avoiding for the past year.

Jason...

To say he was shocked to see me was an understatement.

We both stared at each other for what feels like the longest time of my life. It's as if time stood still. All I can hear was the rapid beating of my heart.

Oh my god. This is not happening. This can't be happening. I chanted in my head...

Jason