A Higher Perspective

“No one is more influential in your life than you are, because no one else talks to you more.”  Paul Tripp

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  Mathew 6:33

Interpose:  “to place in an intervening position” Merriam-Webster Dictionary

What do we tell ourselves on a regular basis?  Is it that we’re not good enough to be considered for the next promotion?  Is it that we’re somehow not lovable?  Perhaps it’s that we’re pretty good and deserve everything we have and much more?  Whatever it is, I bet it’s often untrue.  The truth is that God loves us enough to kill His son for us.  The truth is that Jesus loves us enough to be tortured and die for us.  I love the line in the old hymn Come Thou Fount  where it says, “Jesus sought me when a stranger, wondering from the fold of God; He, to rescue me from danger, interposed His precious blood.”  I don’t know about you, but that picture of Jesus rescuing me from MYSELF with His own life makes me feel absolutely and completely alive and loved inside.  So what are we telling ourselves?  I hope that, in our day of personal communication, we remember what we deserve of our own merits, and how different that is from what we have coming because of Christ.  It’s easy to get caught up in thoughts of our physical needs.  We do need sustenance.  We do need physical attention.  And we do need to feel good about ourselves.  However, all of those things are much more satisfying after we’ve been satisfied with the love our Maker.  Jesus is seeking us like the Good Shepherd He is.  He says in John 10:27-28, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.”  Perhaps we should stop speaking to ourselves out of our own wisdom and start quoting to ourselves what God has to say.  Perhaps we should listen a little more to what Jesus thinks of us.  Perhaps we should pay attention when He says, “Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?”  Mathew 6:28b-30  Somehow that puts everything into a little better perspective.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake