Cognizant of Creation

“One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.  We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.”  Dale Carnegie

But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you.  Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?  Job 12:7-9

Cognizant:  “knowledge of something especially through personal experience”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

What’s a better alarm clock than a morning in nature?  The cool light, the birds sweetly chirping, the smell of fresh air.  And what’s better to relax us than an evening in creation?  The warmth of a sunset, the soft cooing of a dove, the world going to sleep.  For some of us it’s been a while since we’ve experienced the beauty of nature.  Some of us have no desire to experience it.  However, we all need it.  Whether we enjoy it or not, nature is a requirement for survival.  Many of us separate ourselves from it, sometimes for good reason.  Most humans have moved past the need to “survive” in the elements.  We’ve built societies and cultures that protect us from having to “rough it,” in the outdoors.  God made us to do that.  However, we all could all do ourselves good by appreciating what God has created.  We’re a part of it.  In fact, we were made to be in charge of it.  Too often people argue about how to handle creation simply because of political differences.  To hear some talk, you would think that half the people would love nothing more but to destroy every tree, bird, and plant on the face of the earth.  And to hear those people talk, you would think that the other half would love nothing more than to destroy most of humanity in an effort to save a couple fish.  I don’t think there are very many people who want nature or humanity destroyed.  However, we could all use to be a little more cognizant of the value of creation.  That includes the wilds of nature and the civilizations of cities.  We were made to be stewards of God’s creation.  And that’s what we should be.  Let’s not let our dislike of another person’s political views prevent us from doing what is right.  But let’s not let our efforts to do the right thing give us a superiority complex either.  Humanity is still learning how nature works.  Can we reduce our footprint in the world?  Maybe.  Probably.  But the simple act of living produces a footprint.  And sometimes that footprint isn’t a bad thing.  In everything we do, we should be trying to join our footprint with the footprint of Jesus.  After all, He’s the One who loved us enough to create everything we know.  He’s the One who created footprints in the first place.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake