Entitlement vs Dependency

"Entitlement leads to weakness and weakness facilitates dependency and dependency is the mother of tyranny." Unknown Navy Seal

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Entitlement: "belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges" Merriam-Webster Dictionary

There is a saying you've probably heard. My mom would always quote it to me when I faced problems to overcome. She would say, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Now, to be honest, many of the problems I faced were not real problems, many of them were conjured and magnified by my desire to find a way out of chores. Non-the-less that phrase stuck with me. And it's true. We are much more likely to be able to solve problems we face if its a necessity. But there's one big problem we face. It's the problem of ourselves. Guess what, there's no solution we can imagine. Think of all of the solutions we've come up with as people. We drive cars on freeways. Watch people entertain us on TV's. And sleep in houses wired to the entire world. Now think of a plant, any plant. What's the difference? We have no technology that can compare with any plant growing in your back yard. Right now most of us rely on micro-technology. It basically means that the engineering of that technology goes down to parts designed and manufactured that are measured in micro-meters or thousandths of a millimeter. That's pretty amazing, but it can't compare to the up and coming nano-technology we are beginning to see. It takes us down to parts measured in millionths of a millimeter. It's used to create longer lasting fabrics, electronics, and medical devices. You probably used man made nanotechnology every day and don't even suspect it. And as great as nano tech is, pico technology is going to change our lives in the near future. It's measured in the billionths of a millimeter and is manufactured at the atomic level. But come to think of it. While we've changed our lives with theses technologies, God has been supporting us with immeasurable creations. We create things that are square and round, straight and curved. God creates things in the true shape they need to be. They're designed at the sub-sub-atomic level. And when we're able to see down to that level, they'll be another one waiting to discover. He's the great creator, but His creation is marred. God created us to be with him. But we can't with this thing we call sin. That's where God had to get creative once again. He saw a necessity and invented a solution. That solution is the cross. It's a solution non of us are entitled to, but that we are all dependent upon. So while we make contact with His physical creations everyday. Let's remember His spiritual ingenuity as well. Let's remember the problem of sin and that we can never solve it. And let's be thankful He's already conquered it.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake