The Proof!

“So let my life be the proof, the proof of Your love.  Let my love look like You, and what You’re made of.  How you lived, how You died, love is sacrifice.  So let my life be the proof, the proof of Your love.”  Chorus from the song The Proof of Your Love by King and Country

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”  And He took a cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in My Fathers kingdom.”  Matthew 26:26-29

Credulity:  “readiness or willingness to believe especially on sight or uncertain evidence”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

What’s the difference between Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, and Satanism for that matter; if they all produce the same product?  What sets apart a Christian man or woman from the rest of the world?  What makes one better than the other?  Is one better than the other?  Or some more credulous than the others?  Love...  Sacrifice...  Indeed those things exist without Christ, but without Christ much of their value is lost.  Why is Christ so powerful?  Some would say it’s because of what He did.  Because He loved people so much that He allowed Himself to be crucified.  But there are other people who have died for love.  There are other people who have been tortured to death.  What sets Jesus apart?  This is what sets Him apart.  He was and is the Son of God.  Jesus wasn’t crucified for His love.  He wasn’t crucified simply because He defied many of the rulers of His day.  He wasn’t crucified because He claimed to be God.  He was crucified because of me.  Because I sinned and will sin.  Because every person who has ever and will ever walk this earth; has, will, and continually falls short of perfection.  He had to die because of me.  He was the last sacrifice by His chosen people.  When He died the curtain to the most holy place tore from top to bottom, revealing to anyone who would choose to see, the glory of God.  It ruined the temple meant for holy worship and sacrificial offerings and built a new covenant founded on the ultimate and final sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  There are good people in every religion.  People who genuinely love.  People who would give there lives in sacrifice.  What sets Christianity apart?  Nothing if it’s about us.  Everything if it’s about Jesus.  Our sacrifice is worthless.  If I died for you tomorrow, what would it do?  You are eventually going to die.  If I gave you everything I have to support you, what would it give you?  Maybe temporary comfort.  It’s not about what I do.  It’s not about what you do.  Or Billy Graham.  Or Barack Obama.  It’s about what Jesus did when He created this world.  What He did on the cross.  And what He does in our hearts.  When we make our lives about that, something different emerges.  Something that should be peculiar.  I’m not sure I can even say what it is.  But it’s kinda like one of the most famous phrases to come out of the United States Supreme Court.  “I know it when I see it.”  There is nothing that we can define completely and accurately in words.  Let alone a person and what they live for.  My question for all of us is this.  What do people see when they see us?  I pray they see a glimpse of the love bore out on the cross for us.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake