Easy For You To Say

“When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”  Confucius

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.  Proverbs 1:7

Fear:  “to have a reverential awe of”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

“Easy for you to say.”  Ever heard that reply?  I know I have.  Not so much from other people, but from myself.  Ever say that to yourself?  “Easy for you to say.”  What’s that all about?  What does it mean?  I’ve noticed that it’s a phrase that usually follows a word of wisdom.  Something like, “You probably shouldn’t get another credit card and go farther into debt.”  “Easy for you to say, you don’t have the bills I have.”  Or, “God loves you and wants you to be happy.”  “Easy for you to say, there’s nothing sad happening in your life.”  The truth is, it will always be easier to say what’s right than to do what’s right.  It’s always going to be easier to advise people to confine sex to marriage when we’re married.  It’s always going to be easier to suggest that people give when we have the money and resources to give.  It’s always going to be easier to say than to do.  However, that shouldn’t stop wisdom from being said.  Yes, there are times when we need to be sensitive.  There are times when we need to realize that saying with words is far less important than relating through actions.  Nobody will ever care what we say if we don’t also do!  That’s called being a hypocrite, and no one appreciates a hypocrite.  But thank goodness that it’s easier to say than to do.  Because speaking is often the first step in changing our actions.  “I need to be a more loving husband.”  “I need so show more appreciation for what my husband does.”  “I should listen better to what my parents have to say.”  “I should respect my boss a little more.”  “I should give more.”   All of those things are easier to say than to do.  And they’re all worth doing.  Maybe it’s a phrase like one of those that we need to speak into our lives.  Ya, it will be easier to say than to do.  But saying is just the beginning.  Say it to yourself every day, every time you think of it.  Maybe even write it down daily.  The things we think have the power to change the way we feel.  And the way we feel has the power to change the way we act.  Want to change the way you act?  Change the way you think.  And doing that usually requires changing the way we speak to ourselves.  So let’s speak to ourselves in a way that builds, in a way that corrects, in a way that rectifies.  Let’s speak to ourselves in wisdom.  And above all, let’s allow the source of wisdom to speak into our lives.  After all, with His words He spoke life into existence.  And with His words He heals.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake