Remember

"You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hand't gone by so fast. These are some good times, so take a good look around, you may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this." From the song You're Gonna Miss This by Lee Miller and Ashley Gorley, performed by Trace Adkins

But Jesus called the children to Him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16

Innocence: "freedom from guilt or sin through being unaquainted with evil" Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Close your eyes with me. Actually, maybe that's not such a productive idea. How about finish reading this, than close your eyes and ponder a while with me. Often times while I lay in bed trying to sleep, I'll start thinking of the past, of great times in my life, of being a kid. Can you remember being a kid? If so, what was your favorite time. Some of my favorite times were fifth and sixth grades. I went to a little two room school nestled in the wet and green woods of Southwest Washington State. I lived close enough I could walk to and from it, but far enough I didn't really like to. What was so great about that time? I can't help but think it was the innocence, the wonder, and the awe of this world. I had a favorite everything, maybe you did too. I had a favorite color, a favorite car, favorite sports teams, athletes, singers, and the list could go on. Maybe you did too. I had a plastic basketball hoop in my bedroom. Many a buzzer beater was made on that court. Did you have something like that? I had the best friend in the world. We could hang out for days and have fun the entire time. You probably did too. Monetarily we were poor, my mom worked a few jobs and went to school as well. But we were rich with love. And really that's all I remember. I can't remember not being able to have the things I wanted. All I remember is awesomeness! Can you remember it too? What's the difference between then and now? It's got to be the innocence. Between then and now our hearts have been broken. I'll never forget. You probably won't either. Our dreams have been smashed. I still dream of playing college basketball for the North Caroline Tar Heels, Duke Blue Devils, or the Kentucky Wildcats. Do you have expired dreams like that too? And we all have dreams that have come true. I'm married to a beautiful God fearing woman of my dreams. Maybe you are too. Maybe you have kids. Value them, protect their innocence. We all have a loving Creator. Be in awe. The qualities that made being a kid so great are still in our lives. Focus on them. We have a Savior who still sees our innocence like we are nine years old. Remember that. We have a God who wants to be with us. Be with Him. And we have the promise of salvation laid before us if we should only accept it. Accept it. There is no time like now to make a memory that will last forever. Let's do that! Let's make these days, days we'll look back on and smile.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake