The Cause and Effect, Affect

“Come, thou fount of every blessing,

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;”

Robert Robinson (from his song Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing)

 For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.  Hebrews 3:4

Affect:  “a set of observable manifestations of a subjectively experienced emotion”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Effect:  “power to bring about a result”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

 At this moment I can feel the swaying of the ship.  I’m not even on the ship anymore!  It’s been almost an entire day since I’ve been on a cruise vacation with my family, but I still feel its affects.  And that’s how all of life is, isn’t it?  Not only could I feel the effects of the ocean when I was at sea, I can still feel them here on my living room couch.  I think we all understand the affects of the ocean.  It’s the most powerful force of nature here on earth.  But what about us?  What power do we carry?  What possible affect could we have?  I just read an article in Relevant Magazine by Tyler Charles, called Suicidal Tendencies.  It stated that the second leading cause of death among american college students and americans 25 to 35 years old is suicide.  Why?  Because we’re ignoring hurt.  We’re ignoring what causes it, who has it, and what fixes it.  We do have a power.  It’s a power that is even greater than the power of the sea.  We have words, actions, and attitudes.  Our words can cut like knives.  Our actions can destroy like wrecking balls.  And our attitudes can affect a lifetime.  But we also have the ability to cause good.  Our words can lift a spirit.  Our actions can build a life.  And our attitudes show a character.  However, what we do with the powers we posses is a result of what’s affecting us.  So if we sway when we walk, maybe it’s because we’ve been effected by the tides of the ocean.  If we say a kind word, maybe it’s because we’ve been affected by God’s grace.  If we have a hateful attitude, maybe it’s because...  We do have an affect and an effect on this world.  And it’s what we choose to be affected by that determines our impact.  I’m reminded of what Joshua told the Israelites when he became their leader.  He said, “But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”  Joshua 24:15  And it’s serving the LORD that has made all the difference.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I helps someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake