Tools of Purpose

“The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.”  Henry Miller

 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31

 Wile:  “a trick or stratagem intended to ensnare or deceive”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

 Remember when you were a kid and your mom would say to you, “Idle hands are the devils workshop?”  You would then be given a chore or two and the complaining would begin.  Maybe that never happened to you, but it sure happened to me more than once.  The thing is, is it really true that doing nothing leads to doing the wrong thing?  Is it true that relaxing opens us up to the wiles of the devil?  Is it true that hard work always results in righteousness?  Maybe sometimes, but mostly no.  What is true, is that we need a purpose.  What if everything we did had a purpose?  That’s a nice sounding questions meant to make a statement.  However, when I hear it I immediately start feeling overwhelmed.  What do you mean everything I do should have a purpose?  When can I rest?  When I say everything should have a purpose, I mean, we should be able to have an explanation for everything we do.  If we’re watching a movie we should be able to state a reason for watching.  And if we’re working we should be able to explain what we’re working for and toward.  That ability gives our actions purpose, no matter what they are.  You see, it’s in purpose that the devil finds many of his footholds.  It’s not that being idle opens us up for temptation.  Rather, it’s not having or knowing a purpose to our actions.  Be sure, everything we do already has a purpose.  Being aware of that purpose allows us to answer the question, “Who am I serving?”  It’s not what we’re doing, but who we’re serving that makes all the difference.  Life is not about us.  It’s about our Creator and our purpose for Him.  It’s in His purpose that He wants to bless us.  It’s in His purpose that we become aware of the love, joy, and satisfaction He provides.  And it’s in His purpose that He saves.  I pray that in all we do we are able to label it with a purpose.  That everything we do will have an honorable goal for our Creator.  May we have an answer for every action we take.  May we be aware of Him.  And may we be a tool, effective for our Maker.

 Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake