The Ultimate Reaction

“The purity of man is the absence of something, the purity of Jesus is the presence of something.”  Ravi Zacharius

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 6:23

Impregnate:  “to permeate thoroughly”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

In a properly run business, leaders like to know the cost effectiveness of their expenses.  In other words.  If you’re a builder, you should know whether it’s worth the extra cost to buy better tools.  If you’re a doctor, you should determine whether having a nicely furnished office is worth the extra cost of the chairs.  And if you’re a person, as we all are, you should know the cost of your actions.  Newtons second law of physics states that, “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.”  Does that apply to our spirituality and our humanity as well?  If we did a real analysis on our actions and their consequences we would find the answer to be yes.  One of the driving forces in civilization is our ability to legislate and enforce justice.  As communities and cultures we decide the consequences of wrongdoing in our societies, and specific punishments are determined for specific infractions on the rules.  We all know that by societies standards, if we commit murder we deserve to go to jail, or maybe even die ourselves.  However, we all try to cheat justice everyday.  I know that when I leave my house this morning, I’m gonna break the speed limit on my way to work.  And I’m pretty sure I will get away with it because I know everyone else will be breaking it in a similar way.  Who doesn’t know where they can drive five miles per hour over the posted speed and get away with it?  And don’t we all do this with God as well?  Most of us intuitively know right from wrong.  We know God wants us to live in a certain way.  And we all cut corners.  For example, I know that God wants me to follow the moral laws of the land, like speed limits, but I break them all the time.  It’s called sin and we all do it.  Eve knew the consequences of eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, but she did it anyway.  God said the consequences were death, but Satan said, “You shall not surely die.”  And she believed him.  She did something she desired believing there wouldn’t be an equal and opposite reaction.  We’ve been doing the same thing ever since.  Adam and Eve impregnated the world with sin when they decided to believe the devil.  We can’t escape it!  Not on our own.  And here’s where the gospel makes all the difference.  We don’t have to pay the real price of our transgressions.  We get to skip out on what we really deserve.  Because Jesus paid the ultimate price for us.  Physically speaking, when I step down on my floor, I hope it is able to counter my force equally and hold me up.  Spiritually speaking, I know there is nothing to counter my faults and failures.  Nothing that is, but the blood of Jesus.  Without His sacrifice we would forever fall.  With His sacrifice we are upheld by His love, and will one day even ascend to His presence.  Every action does have an equal and opposite reaction.  How blessed are we that Jesus reacted to our actions on the cross?

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake