Thank God It's Friday

“Thank God it’s Friday!”  Everyone

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God.  On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day.  Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Holy:  “having a divine quality”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It is Friday as I write this,  and thank God for it.  But why do we thank God for Fridays?  Obviously it’s because it’s the day before the weekend.  The last day of the work week.  The day when we most clearly see a break ahead.  Well, for most anyway.  God ordained breaks.  Right after He finished writing in stone how men were supposed to worship Him, He said in essence, “Take a break.”  God said to take at least one day a week off of work.  I grew up in a church that strictly observed the Sabbath day.  We weren’t supposed to work, or play, or think like we did the other days of the week.  We went to church, we fellowshipped with the church body, and we kept the day holy.  And it was a blessing.  However, as Christians, Jesus moved us beyond keeping one day a week holy.  As Christians every day is holy and set apart for the LORD’s work.  Our righteousness is not found in a sabbath break, but in Jesus.  Jesus said, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.”  Mark 2:27  It was meant, not to be a blessing to God, but a way in which we are blessed by God.  I no longer set aside a particular day to worship, like I grew up doing.  However, like most westerners I do set aside at least one day to take a break.  Or do I?  It’s funny how work is the hardest thing to give up.  Worshipping for many is no problem.  But taking a break from work somehow is.  On our days off work, do we work harder on our house than our job?  Sometimes I do.  To be honest, that’s not very often (I have a very large lazy bone).  But it does happen.  If we’re honest, there are times when going back to work seems like a break from the weekend.  I’m not going to say that if you don’t have a day in which you don’t labor at all, you’re wrong.  However, I will say that we all need a break, a rest, a “sabbath.”  Which in its lower case form simply means, “a time of rest,” according the the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.  So today, let’s thank God for ordaining rest.  Whether we have this weekend off or not.  Let’s look forward to our days off, and truly take them off.  And let’s thank Jesus for being our rest from sin.  The Sabbath day was always meant to be a symbol of rest from sin.  The grace bore out on the cross washes us clean of it.  In that way, in Christ, we enjoy a Sabbath every day we live.  So we can thank God it’s Friday, and thank God it’s monday.

Daily Journaling Questions?

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake