Turning Off The Light

“Like when you sit in front of a fire in winter - you are just there in front of the fire.  You don’t have to be smart or anything.  The fire warms you.”  Desmond Tutu

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Psalm 23

Quell:  “to suppress; put an end to; extinguish”  Dictionary.com

This morning as I look out the window, I’m predicting that it’s gonna be a beautiful day.  Not because I’ve seen the weather report, looked at the weather app on my phone, or see a magnificent sunrise.  I may be wrong, but I’m predicting that it’s going to be a nice day, because right now I can barely see the trees on the other side of the street due to a blanket of fog in the valley where I live.  I know the weather may not be the same where you are, but I’m sure you’ve experienced the same sort of thing.  So you know what I’m talking about.  You know that fog often lifts to reveal beauty only a loving God could create.  God is often like that.  Rather, life is often like that.  The rays of God’s love are not always blazing through our hearts.  There are times of fogginess and murkiness.  Sometimes the outlook on life is bleak, and the joy of life is fleeting.  If that is the case for you, right now is the time to grow in faith and in knowledge.  Right now is the time to seek the joy only God can give.  Take for example the flora and fauna that make up our forests and plains.  The plants we enjoy so much often grow the most in the darkness of night.  It’s that darkness that causes them to reach out their branches and leaves in search for the sun.  But does the plant ever find the sun?  No, no matter how hard the plant tries, it can never reveal the source of its energy.  But every morning the sun is faithfully revealed.  The growth that occurred during the night now ensures that an even greater amount of energy can be absorbed.  And so it is with our spiritual life.  Can we ever reveal the power of God on our own?  No, no matter how hard we try we cannot reveal the source of our life.  However, His glory is real, and it is faithful.  There are times when His love is obscured by a fog of doubt, a night of sorrow, an overcast of guilt, or even a shadow of death.  But it’s still there, it will be revealed.  We can’t reveal His love with our own power any more than we can make the sun rise.  However, we can grow in faith and knowledge.  So that when the light of His love comes streaming through our hearts once again we are more able than ever to receive it.  To be energized by it.  To bask in the joy of its presence all the more; thankful for its life giving power.  No, we can’t force God’s love on our lives, but we can build the receptors of His love in our hearts.  And sadly, while we don’t have the power to turn on His love, we do have the power to reject it.  Often it’s not God’s love that is missing, rather us who have quelled it.  Like the sun, we can’t turn off its rays.  However, we can build a shelter to give us shade.  Are we sheltering ourselves of His love?  I pray that if we have, we gain the courage to remove it.  It’s only by removing the barriers that we’ve built and by seeking with all our hearts that we can enjoy the full potential of His life giving love.  His love is faithful and sure, but we must seek it, we must allow it, we must want it for our lives.  For all of us there will be an end to the cycle of night and day, of love and sorrow, of joy and fear.  For most of us that end will be what many of us ultimately fear.  But there is a promise of more, of greater, of ultimate reality.  A reality without the cycles of today’s life.  A reality of constant sun, constant life, constant joy, constant God.  Jesus says, “Behold I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with Me.”  Revelation 3:20  Whether we’re a Christian or an Atheist, a Hindu or a Muslim, a Buddhist or a Jew; we all want God’s love in our lives.  We don’t have to be smart or anything, let’s just open the door to it.  The light of His love is waiting to shine through.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake