Mattering for Him

“Causa latet, vis est notissima” - Latin phrase meaning - “The cause is hidden, the results well known.”

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.  1 John 4:8

Apostasy:  “abandonment of previous loyalty”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Does it matter how good a writer I am?  Does it matter that I have a desire to do good in the world?  To make a difference?  Does that matter for any of us?  What does anything matter without a source?  The greatest poet would be nothing without inspiration.  The greatest builder would be worthless without material.  And the greatest men and women would be dead without their creator.  In his letter to the Corinthians Paul wrote, “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.” 1 Corinthians 13:1  In his book True Christianity William Wilberforce writes in essence, that the world will tell us that people are generally good.  But that we’re tempted away from being good by various distractions and perhaps evil forces.  “The cause is hidden, the results well known.”  Is that right?  Philosophers talk a lot about causality.  It seams philosophy is always drawn to the ultimate question of humanity when we rely on humanity.  That is, where are we from?  Philosophers like to posit ideas, create their hypothesis, and test the results.  They’re simply trying to find causality for humanity.  What are we?  Where are we from?  What motivates us?  Why are some good and some bad?  We can see the results.  People kill, steal, and rape.  But people also give, sacrifice, and humble themselves.  Why?  Is there a mean righteousness to humanity?  Are we all born with an average of tendencies that are then influenced and adjusted by circumstances?  If that were the case it would follow that people with the best circumstances would be the happiest and best people.  But that’s not the case.  Studies show that often the happiest people are the people who have endured trials.  “Without love I am a noisy gong.”  “God is love.”  There is an answer.  There is a cause.  His name is Yahweh.  He is God.  Is He hidden?  Yes.  Can He be known?  Yes.  What does that take?  Asking for His revelation.  In his book, Wilberforce went on to say, “Far different is the humiliating language of Christianity.  From it we learn that man is an apostate creature, fallen from his high original, degraded in his nature, and depraved in his faculties.”  What does that mean?  It means we need a Savior.  It means we need Jesus.  People are not naturally good.  We are not born with an average goodness that is then plus or minused by events.  I think we all know that.  There is the argument that we are the results of our genetic makeup.  Some people’s brains are different and respond differently.  That’s true.  But without God what are the options.  Drugs?  Treatment?  There are times when those things are needed.  They can be valuable.  But we all, always need our Creator.  He is the source of value.  He is the source of love.  The source of life.  He can’t be replaced with medicine or advice.  With Him, with Jesus, we can all be saved.  No matter what we’ve done, what we think, or what we desire.  We need His love to feel loved, to love.  It is for Him that our talents and our blessings gain true value.  Does it matter how good we are at what we do?  It matters to Him.  And it matters most when it’s for Him.  Let’s matter for Him.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake