Chapter Fifty-Eight: A Letter to the Grim Reaper

It took me a little while to fully recover, but once I did, I was back to dooming myself with afternoon teas. When I entered the drawing room for the first time after the accident, all the ladies looked up at me with their hungry eyes.

"So good to see you again, Your Grace!" Gianna says as I enter.

"Glad to see you missed me after my assassination attempt" I reply.

Silence.

"I've heard you've been rather busy while I've been... incapacitated" I say to her, pouring myself some tea and sipping it delicately.

The other ladies all chuckle as I say this.

"If you mean with finding you a suitable match, I'm afraid it's rather hard" Gianna replies.

"We have come to a decision, though" Another lady chimes in.

"Is that so?" I question, knowing exactly what's about to transpire.

"That Samael character, you said he has money, correct?" Gianna asks.

"His father does, yes. But they're no longer affiliated" I reply, sipping my tea again.

"But he is by name, a noble?" Gianna continues to interrogate.

"I suppose so, yes. Although I never really thought of it that way" I reply.

"Well. I have noticed you struck up quite the liking for him, yes?" Gianna asks, sending ripples of giggles throughout the room.

"That depends on your definition of 'like'" I reply, smirking slightly as I take the next sip of tea.

"Well like or not, the ladies and I have talked, and we wanted to make you an offer."

"Have you now?" I ask, knowing what's coming.

"We think that, in return of housing him and protecting him from his dangerous past, it's only fair that he should marry you. A marriage would prove you desirable to your people, and with desirability comes respect. Besides, how could he say no to a true title and wealth." Gianna suggests proudly.

"It seems you have this all planned out then" I reply.

"Is that a yes?" Gianna asks.

"Have you talked it over with Samael?" I ask.

"Yes. He showed no protest to the union" Gianna replies.

"Fine then. I'll accept. But only for my people. I'd do anything to gain their trust" I reply.

"It's official then. I'll begin the preparations" Gianna says, getting up and leaving me behind to sip my tea, silently accepting my fate.

They couldn't have seen the anger bubbling up inside me as I thought of marrying someone other than Cael. Samael gave me comfort, that much was certain. But comfort from my problems, only. Although I suppose even that was more than I could ask for at this point. I enter my room later, tearing off my cloak and throwing it on my bed angrily.

"They've told you then" I hear a voice say from the doorway.

I turn to meet the eyes of my sudden fiancé.

"Can't say I'm surprised. Genevieve did warn us of it" I reply.

"Guess I just didn't think they'd actually go through with it" I finish.

"You mean to tell me you accepted?" Samael replies.

"I did. And so did you. Or so I've heard" I reply.