Chapter Thirty: Finding an Equal

Morning came quickly and before I knew it, I was standing outside the main entrance to the Estate yet again, taking in the grandeur of the building. I was out of breath from the hike we had to take from our sleeping spot, and I grab Samael's shoulder, resting on it briefly while he stare off into the distance at the Estate.

"So this is where the nobles hide away" Samael says as he stares at it.

"It would appear so" Arthur replies, brushing past the two of us and heading up towards the Estate.

Samael and I exchange a look before he branches off and heads for the forest, and I follow after Arthur.

"State your names!" one of the guards on duty asks as we approach the main entrance.

"My name is Amaris Barlowe, and this is Arthur Laurier. The Duke will be expecting us" I reply to the guards.

The two guards exchange hesitant glances before finally opening the doors to us, revealing the Estate. Genevieve is walking down the stairs as we enter.

"My Lady? Is that really you?" She asks as she approaches me, hugging me.

"In the flesh, Genevieve" I reply with a laugh.

"Well, I must alert The Duke of your arrival immediately. He's been anxiously awaiting your arrival" Genevieve says as she pulls away from my embrace.

"I'm sure he is" I reply.

"Excuse me for just a moment. I'll have him meet you in the drawing room" Genevieve suggests.

"Very well" I reply, gesturing for Arthur to follow behind me as I lead him towards the drawing room.

He looks around in fascination as I lead him up the staircase. We sit on a couch in front of the fire until Genevieve reenters, The Duke following close behind her. He stops in the doorway when he sees our disheveled appearances, our clothes speckled with blood. I curtsy formally as he enters and approaches us.

"My Lord" I say as I curtsy.

"Where the hell have you two been for the last three days?" The Duke questions.

"On the mission you sent us on, sir" Arthur replies.

"Yet you're back empty-handed. What happened?" He asks.

"We encountered some difficulties with the mission sir. You see, we did as you directed but were unable to identify the asset you talked of." Arthur replies politely.

"The mission was clear. If you encountered any 'difficulties' that was entirely your own doing" The Duke replies defensively.

"But if only we'd had a little more information, we could have-"

"You failed. The both of you. And now I'm forced to question whether you're ready to be a Guardian or not" The Duke interrupts.

Arthur and I stay silent, our gazes cast to the ground in guilt.

"You two will return to training with the others. There you'll stay until I believe you fit to move up again." The Duke explains.

"Yes, My Lord" We reply in unison.

Suddenly, Cael walks into the room, followed closely behind by Brianna.

Great. As if it couldn't get any worse.

"We heard of their arrival and came right away. How was the mission?" Cael asks his father.

"Why don't you ask them" The Duke replies, shooting the two of us a cold glance before exiting the room.