Chapter Fifty-Four: Bubbles

Dim rays of light fill the room as I awaken, and I can see dust particles float through them. The musty smell, and the thick dusty air remind me of where I am and I sit up on the mattress, removing Samael's arm from around my waist carefully. He stirs as I remove his arm, groaning in protest and covering his eyes from the light beams. He lays atop the mattress, his waist covered by the thin military blanket.

"Put these on. Before anyone finds out" I say, throwing his uniform pants back at him.

"Can't we stay a little longer?" He groans.

"You can if you want to get caught" I say, pulling my own clothes back on.

He sighs and sits up, redressing himself as I ask and standing up to pull on his shirt. Just as I'm rewrapping the cloth around my upper body, the door to our room opens and a soldier steps in.

"Hey Com- Wait a minute... you're not the Commander... and you're a... girl?" The poor soldier questions as the sight unfurls before his eyes.

"Well shit. I was really hoping not to do this so soon" I say.

"Wha-" The soldier starts, but never gets to finish his sentence because I throw my dagger at him, hitting him directly in the heart.

I finish wrapping myself and pull my shirt on, walking over and pulling my dagger from his body. When I open the door, I make eye contact with another soldier.

"Over there!" The soldier yells, gathering a whole group.

Samael comes up behind me, finishing tying his belt.

"Are we really doing this right now?" He asks as the group charges towards us.

"Unless you have another option" I say, stabbing the first soldier to reach me.

"As of right now? No." Samael says, cutting down another soldier.

"Eh. This was uncomfortable anyway" I say, releasing my hair from the bun I'd previously had it in to conceal my hair.

We make our way through the first group of soldiers and run down a nearby hallway, glancing around for our teammates.

"Amaris! What're you doing?!" I hear someone yell.

I turn to see Aurora sprinting down the hallway.

"They found out" I shrug, stabbing another soldier in front of me.

"Find the others! We'll be fine here for now!" I yell to her.

She nods, running back the way she came. The soldiers surround us from all sides, but it doesn't take much for us to maneuver our way through the crowd that's gathered, and soon we're standing in the middle of a graveyard of bodies. It was at this moment that the others run up, panting and taking in the sight before them in awe. 

"Watch out!" Brianna exclaims, throwing her dagger directly towards me.

I dodge it and turn around just in time to see another soldier collapse.

"Nice throw, Brianna" I say in admiration.

She shoots me a proud look.

"So... what happened to 'undercover mission'?" Aurora questions.

"A soldier saw me changing, and alerted his teammates to us. There's nothing we can do once our identities are exposed. Although I must say, we did ourselves a favor by taking out a battalion of our components army" I reply.

Everyone nods solemnly, looking around at the bodies.

"Search the bodies for any information they may have on Arden authorities" I suggest.