Chapter Fifty-Six: An Endeavor to Kill

The next morning came too soon, with a knock on the door as I was redressing myself that draws my attention.

Samael and I exchange a confused look before I walk towards the door, opening it to reveal Genevieve, who glances at Samael up and down as he rebuttons his shirt, sitting at the foot of my bed.

"Yes, Genevieve?" I question.

"I'm so sorry to... bother... you My Lady, but you haven't attended to Arden's affairs recently, and I'm afraid they need your urgent attention" Genevieve says, still looking at Samael strangely.

"Sounds serious" I say, beginning to brush my hair out.

"It's... about the war. A Rochdalian Commander has requested a meeting with you" Genevieve explains.

I stop what I'm doing, my brush hovering mid air as I promptly turn towards Samael, who shoots me an equally confused look.

"A Rochdalian, you say?" I ask.

Genevieve nods.

"His correspondence is set on your desk" Genevieve explains.

"Very well. I'll attend to it immediately" I say, setting my brush down and stepping out into the hallway.

Genevieve nods, holding the door open for me while shooting Samael one last strange look.

Commander Terrance Amir of the fifth Battalion requests the presence of Lady Amaris Mcleod of Arden.

After that, an address. I'm distracted from my task by the feeling of two strong arms wrapping around my waist, and someone's chin resting on my shoulder. The scent of his cologne and the feeling of his soft kiss on my neck identified him immediately.

"Not now, Samael. We have a meeting to attend." I reply, breaking away from his embrace and walking towards the door.

"We? This letter says otherwise" He says after scanning the paper.

"If he's as clueless as the others, he won't notice the Grim Reaper lurking in the shadows" I reply.

"We're not bringing The Quislings then?" He asks.

"Not this time. They're needed back here to protect the Estate while I'm away." I explain.

"So..." Samael says, approaching me and backing me into the wall of the study with a mischievous expression across his face.

"It's just going to be us then?" He asks with a slight smirk.

"Us, and the commander, of course" I say, touching our noses together momentarily before breaking away from him yet again and grabbing the letter from the desk before setting off towards the doorway.

"Now wait a minute... where exactly is it we're going to meet this commander?" Samael asks.

"Seems to be an abandoned warehouse" I reply, holding the letter up to Samael so he can read it.

"That's... subtle" Samael replies, taking the letter to read it himself.

"Well one thing's for sure, I'm not entering an abandoned warehouse to meet with a suspicious Rochdalian Commander without protection" I reply.

"Uh- Genevieve?" I ask as Genevieve walks by.

"Yes My Lady?" She asks.

"Please ready a carriage for Samael and I set to this address. And tell Aurora to supply the carriage with our swords." I order.

"Yes, My Lady" Genevieve replies, taking the letter with the address and setting off.

"We're really doing this?" Samael asks as I start down the hallway.