Chapter Twenty-Three: Distractions

Cael runs with me up the front steps of the Estate, through the main entrance, and pulls me into a small room off the side of the main entrance, pinning me against the wall and looking at me with utter amazement.

"What?" I laugh as he looks at me.

"Don't 'what' me. That was amazing" Cael replies.

"Well let's hope I'm half as good at being a Duchess than I am at obstacle courses" I laugh.

"I have no doubt you will be" Cael replies, kissing me softly before grabbing my hand again and pulling me out of the room.

"We'll start easy, and work our way up to the hard stuff" Cael explains as he pulls me up the stairs into the drawing room, which I'm surprised to see is now empty, except for the elaborate spread of foods and teas.

"You've already showed me you can socialize with the lords and ladies of the court. Now we begin working on etiquette" Cael explains, pulling a chair out from the table and gesturing for me to sit down.

Etiquette. I hated that word with every ounce of my being.

It sounded like something Fleur would be used to. Something she'd mastered. But there was a reason why I preferred Lilith.

If I were to become Duchess. Would I need to be like Fleur?

I was unsure if I could accomplish such a feat.

"Amaris? Were you listening?" I suddenly hear Cael question, snapped back to reality.

"Sorry... no" I reply, scratching my head.

"I said we're going to start with the easy stuff. Table manners" Cael explains, gesturing towards the chair he's pulled away from the table for me.

I walk over, shooting him a thankful look before sitting down happily, staring out across the elaborate table spread. I'm about to reach for the shiny silverware when Caek interrupts me.

"First off, let's work on your posture" He suggests, stopping my arm by grabbing my hand so it dangles uselessly midair before gently placing my hand in my lap.

I watch in disbelief as he does this, but brush it off as he begins to fix my posture by placing his hand on my lower back.

"You've got to extend your back from here, otherwise it looks like you're slouching" He explains.

I turn to glance at him with a mischievous look.

"What?" He asks with a questioning gaze.

I smile slightly and shake my head, returning my gaze to straight ahead, towards the table.

"That's better. Now, grab your salad fork" Cael replies.

I reach towards the fork nearest me on the set in front of me.

"No, no. The other one" He interrupts, grabbing my hand and moving it over to the smaller fork furthest away from me.

"There's two forks?" I question.

"Yes. Two spoons, as well. Here, take this. You may want to take notes" Cael replies, handing me a piece of paper and a quill.

Jesus. This was going to be a long day.

"How's the first day of training going up here?" The Duke questions an hour later as he enters the drawing room.

"Well I still don't know the difference between an oolong tea and a green tea, so I'd say it's going great" I reply in a joking tone.