Chapter Thirty-Seven: Finding Solace

"Where's Lord Cael this morning?" I ask Genevieve as she fusses over my hair in preparation for the day.

"His Lordship went out earlier this morning. I believe I saw him take a carriage" Genevieve informs me.

"A carriage? Wherever could he be going where he's in need of a carriage?" I ponder.

"Perhaps Lancaster? Maybe he's trying to smooth things over with Brianna. I heard their engagement has been called off" Genevieve replies.

A sudden knock on the door of my room draws both of our confused gazes to the doorway, as a butler opens it.

"Sorry to interrupt, ma'am. But a carriage has just arrived? It's said to be for you" The Butler says as he peeks through the door.

Genevieve and I exchange a glance, then don't waste another moment, pushing past the Butler and walking briskly towards the main entrance. The gravel crunches under the heels of my shoes as I walk down the pathway, watching as a carriage pulls up in front of it, coming to a sudden halt. I stop abruptly in the middle of the path, watching eagerly as the door is opened and Cael steps out. He has a wide smile on his face, which indicates he's up to something, and he reaches up, offering his hand to someone within the carriage. I watch in shock as his hand is taken delicately, and Primrose steps down from the carriage, scanning her surroundings, then smiling widely as she locks eyes with me.

"Prim?" I question

"Amaris!" She exclaims, running towards me into my embrace.

Avelyn steps out after her, slightly less properly, and runs towards us, joining in on the embrace.

"I don't- What are you doing here?" I question.

"I'd ask Lord Cael. He's the one that planned it, afterall." Primrose replies as she pulls away from my embrace.

I look up towards Cael questioningly as he walks towards us.

"It's been a hard few days for you. I figured a visit with your sister's might help raise your spirits" He explains.

I rush over to him, hugging him. He looks surprised at first, but then hugs back briefly before I pull away.

"Thank you" I say, kissing his cheek.

The girls whistle playfully as I do so, and I shoot them a disapproving look.

"Why are you wearing black? It's awefully bland" Avelyn says.

Primrose elbows her, shooting her a disapproving look.

"Avelyn! Don't you know black is the color of mourning?" Primrose says.

"Of course I do, but... no one else is wearing it" She replies.

"And you think that's an invite to be rude? Primrose questions.

"Now, now, sisters. No need to fret. Come with me, I'll tell you everything over tea" I reply.

"You better, because I know I didn't cover for you for nothing" Avelyn says.

Primrose rolls her eyes at her sisters behavior.

"Pay no attention to her. She's a little blunt at times" Primrose apologizes to Cael as we begin to walk towards the Estate.

The girls continue to argue as we proceed to the steps, and I glance back at Cael with a thankful smile before taking them up to the drawing room. Primrose and Avelyn sit stiffly in their chairs, staring in front of themselves in blank shock after I've updated them on all the happenings. Primrose breaks the deafening silence by picking up her teacup, sipping from it softly.