Chapter Forty-Four: The Deliberation of a Dress

"Time for you two to get up. We have work to be done" Genevieve says as she enters my room the next morning.

"Genevieve?" I question as I open my eyes sleepily.

Cael releases me from his embrace as I sit up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Cael groans in protest and rolls over, attempting to fall back asleep.

"Come on, up!" Genevieve says, pulling back the covers so cold air hits us.

"Genevieve... what could possibly be so important that you need to wake us up at six am?" I question her after glancing at the clock.

"Very pressing wedding matters. Now get up, the both of you. Cael needs to attend to our affairs and you have a wedding dress to design with me" She says.

Cael releases a long sigh, but slides out of bed, kissing me lightly on the forehead before leaving the room.

"So... let's see it!" Genevieve says once he's left.

"See what, Genevieve?" I question, standing up and walking over to my vanity to begin brushing out my hair.

She shoots me a disapproving look, then follows me over and grabs my left hand, holding it up and gasping as she sees the ring.

"Oh... that" I say.

"That is beautiful!" she exclaims in excitement.

"Is it-?"

"A moonstone" I interrupt, knowing the exact question she's going to ask.

She smiles, admiring how the cloudy jewel glints in the sunlight.

"This is perfect. Now I know the exact color scheme for your wedding" She says.

"Let's not get too ahead of ourselves" I laugh.

"Yeah.. you're right. Dress first. Stay here, I'll go get the fabrics" She says.

"But-" I start, but she's already out the door before I can finish, and I just smile to myself.

She reenters the room soon after, spreading various fabrics across the top on my bed so they're easier to display.

"So which shade of fabric are you looking for My Lady? We have cream, eggshell, ivory, Navajo white, and vanilla. Personally, I like the vanilla, but really, any of these options are perfectly suitable" Genevieve says as she hands me different samples of fabrics that're all different shades of white.

I hold each of the samples of fabric up to myself, examining them against my skintone in the mirror. The cream and navajo white were too dark, and didn't match well with the tan color of my skin.

"I believe the ivory is much more suitable for my skintone, wouldn't you agree, Genevieve?" I ask her.

She walks up behind me, examining the fabrics for herself.

"Very true, My Lady. The ivory provides a nice contrast. The others seem to blend too well." Genevieve suggests.

"This one will do then" I say, handing her the ivory sample.

"Wonderful! In an ivory color, we have satin, charmeuse, chiffon, organza, tulle, chantilly lace, alencon lace, and... venise lace" Genevieve lists after selecting my color.

"You seem partial to the lace" I laugh as she sets each of the fabric samples atop the bed.

"It's all the rage in bridal shops these days." Genevieve explains.

"Is that so? Let's have a look at them then" I reply.

"Yes, My Lady." Genevieve replies, curtsying and walking over to select the laces from the bed.