Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Controversy of a Ring

When the morning came, I felt a sense of exhilaration and excitement, going into my day. A feeling I hadn't felt since Arthur's death. The targets in archery practice didn't stand a chance the second I stepped out and started my round, much to the amazement of The Duke, who stands there shocked as I finish in record time. 

"Are you... feeling okay... Amaris?" He ask me as I approach him happily, the wind in my hair, and rosy cheeks from training.

"Never been better" I reply as I start to pass by him.

"This might be a good time to tell you then-"

"Amaris Barlowe. Is it?" A new voice asks, turning my attention towards a young man walking across the field, directly towards me.

He stops in front of me and I catch my first good glimpse of his face. He had fluffy blond hair, with brown highlights, and bright blue eyes.

He reminded me of Arthur.

"Amaris, this is-"

"Casimir, you're new partner. But you can call me Caz. Pleased to make you acquaintance" He says, extending his hand out to me.

"Get away from me" I reply, slapping his hand away and pushing past him.

I glance back as I storm away and see him standing near The Duke, who's probably telling me about my troubled past.

God, how I hated feeling pitied.

I burst through the door of my bedroom, enraged, but I'm suddenly grabbed by the waist, spun around, and pinned between the wall and my offender.

Cael.

I breathe a sigh of relief as I look into his eyes.

"Well someone's happy to see me" He says as I release a relieved breath.

"Did you know your father was going to replace Arthur?" I question him in response.

"Replace him? No. I didn't even know father was still recruiting" Cael replies with a troubled look.

"Well, he is. Because some random trainee named Casimir just marched right up to me introducing himself as my new partner" I explain.

"New partner? That can't be right. Father knows you're still getting past Arthur's passing. I'm so sorry, Amaris. I'll talk to him about it" Cael says, starting to walk away.

I grab the sleeve of his cloak, pulling him back towards me.

"No. It's okay. Maybe it's time for me to move on anyway" I say, releasing my defensive tone and relaxing a bit, my gaze dropping towards the ground.

Cael tilts my chin back up so I'm looking into his eyes once again.

"Are you sure? You don't need to feel pressured to do anything you're not yet ready for" He says sympathetically.

"I'll be fine. Besides, this Casimir guy doesn't stand a chance against me" I reply confidently.

Cael smiles.

"There's my girl" He says before placing a soft kiss on my lips.

He steps closer, pressing against me as we continue to kiss, and sliding his hands down to my hips. His kissing intensifies, and we would've continued, had we not been interrupted by a knock on my door. We promptly jump away from each other at the sound of the knock.

"Uh- Who is it?" I call.

"Just Genevieve, ma'am... I- Oh! My Lord!" Genevieve says as she opens the door and catches sight of Cael standing there.