Chapter 47 - Rewind(Part 4)

"...it's been forty-three days...today I got dissected twice, electrocuted five times, and had seven injections...it's been forty-three days...today I got dissected twice, electrocuted five times, and had seven injections...it's been forty-three da-."

"Kuro...Kuro, snap out of it!"

I opened my eyes, startled out of my trance...oh, that's right...I was...I was...

"Wha...what the hell...," I whispered shakily, my body trembling and breaking out into a cold sweat.

It was so fresh in my mind...that sickening sterile smell, the feel of scalpels and a variety of other operating tools cutting into me and moving around my insides, the various serums injected into me...what the hell...

I know that was just my memories updating, all of this had already happened...

But in my head right now, it was my present not my past...so as I opened my eyes, seeing Persia's face in front of me instead cold-eyed old men in lab coats...I felt like I had just escaped hell.

"Hey, tell me...how did I die?"

"Oh, no...I'm so sorry, I should have warned you in advance for the final six hours...it completely slipped my mind-!" She cried, her face wracked with guilt.

"...no, it's fine, there's nothing I'm blaming you for...do I...do I really have to go through all that for three whole years?"

She didn't say anything for a while, before silently nodding and began explaining what the me of this world had told her about how my life would end.

...

...

"...heh, I'm starting to see why the me in this world can bear pain so well...Jesus Christ, three whole years of that...? Does the me in this world actually have his sanity intact? I think I might already be losing my grip on mine...and it's only been a little over seven weeks...I can't even imagine what kind of state of mind I'll be in after three years of this."

The other three had woken up, and were staring at me with concern.

"Um...is there anything you want to do, to help take your mind off of it? A distraction might be good for you right now."

Something I wanna do, huh?

The only thoughts in my head were flashes of torture, the number of days it had been going on, and the types of experimentations that I had gone through...by keeping track of those, I was able to retain my ability to still have at least somewhat rational thoughts...but it wasn't very stable.

I didn't want to do anything, I just wanted to get rid of these thoughts and memories...

"...knock me out. I don't want to stay awake anymore, all I can think about and see is...pain. Knock me out at least until these two hours are up...maybe the me a year from now will be more mentally resilient," I requested, as my shoulders slumped.

"Um...I don't think-."

"Look, if you don't want to, that's fine...I'm perfectly capable of knocking myself out- H-hey!" I began, before exclaiming as Persia hugged me tightly.

What was she...?

...

...

...I felt a bit calmer.

"If it's really that unbearable, then okay...I'll do it, if that's what you want," She said softly, stroking my cheek gently.

No one has ever been this nice to me...it was strange, but I didn't dislike it in the slightest.