Chapter 2 - Entrance Exam

Admin Dile dashed forward, as did I.

Let's see how long I could hold my own against him without using my Lightning Magic.

He was definitely faster than me, but that's exactly what made this so exciting!

His claws aimed for my throat, I blocked his strike with the back of my right hand, his claws piercing my skin. At the same time, my left hand swung towards his throat, the blade of my dagger aimed at slashing his jugular.

He rapidly pulled back his claws from my right hand and jumped back, the tip of my dagger just barely grazing his neck.

I dashed forward before he could fully recover, drawing out a couple of needles from my left arm guard and flinging them at his chest as fast and accurately as I could. He was too off-balance to dodge, and instead was forced to block with the back of his hands, the needles unable to pierce the scaly skin.

The time he took to block was all I needed to close the gap between us.

I rapidly drew my short-sword and swung it at his neck, while I aimed my dagger at his stomach, let's see if he could block both blades at the same time!

He didn't move, as both of my weapons connected. But they couldn't pierce him. In a flash, right before I struck, he had formed his armor-like scales all over his body. He could control the extent of the physical mutations of his Anima at will?

I didn't even know that was possible. not-God sure left out a lot of details, huh.

Letting go of both handles, I jumped back before he could counter. I then pulled with both hands, snapping my blades back to my hands. Before the fight began, I'd attached wire to the handles of the blades and my wrists.

Alright, time to use lightning, there was no way I could catch him off guard with just my combat skills anymore. I got prepared to spring forward as I sent mana to my hands, ready to let the sparks fly as soon as I could get close enough to strike.

"Quite impressive. You pass."

"Huh?"

Oh right, this was an exam.

For a moment I kinda forgot about that. Too bad, I was just starting to have fun. I sheathed my blades and headed towards where all the other applicants who'd passed were gathered.

"Head to the infirmary now," Instructed Admin Dile.

"Huh? Uh, I'm not hurt or anything," I replied confused, before realizing what he meant.

"Your right han-," He trailed off, as I held up my hand, the wound fully healed up.

Everyone in the hall was now staring at me, and I began to feel a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I should have made an effort to hide my Healing Factor instead of my Lightning Magic.

"Next up, you."

Fortunately, Admin Dile decided not to press the issue, and got back to the exam. I let out a quiet sigh of relief and joined the rest of the passed applicants. Some of them were still staring at me, but I just ignored their looks and headed for the back. There, that should make it obvious that I didn't want to talk about it.

"Hey, that was awesome! How'd you heal so fast?"

It was the blondie with the sickle. He had an intrigued look on his face, as he stared at the spot where I'd been injured.

"Oh, uh, it's an effect from my Anima," I replied, stuttering a bit.

Huh, this was literally the first time I was talking to someone my own age. Both my assassination targets and my clients had all been adults, same goes for the cult scientists who'd used me as a lab rat. I had no problems talking when I want to antagonize someone, but holding a genuine conversation with a person was uncharted territory.