Chapter 35 - Goldway(Part 1)

"Wow...this is really comfortable," I sighed to myself, sinking into the bed.

I was currently in a guest bedroom in the Goldway royal castle.

Once we had reached the gates of the country, the guards let us in, after which they led us to the castle. The castle was in the center of the country, and from where we entered, we would have to make our way through the country's slums.

FYI, the slums took up nearly half the land of the entire country, which I guess made sense since the vast majority of the population were peasants, people who basically had no human rights.

It made me realize why the countries with harsh slavery laws were the most prosperous in this world...they only needed to properly governed half, or even less, of the entire country. It's a lot easier to govern and manage the economy when you're doing it on a smaller scale, and that wasn't the case with the Rustlands, where everyone was treated equally and the entire country is governed evenly.

As we made our way through the slums, Persia appeared rather nervous, but insisted that she was fine, just a bit uneasy. She didn't seem to be bluffing, so I didn't push it further, while subtly keeping an eye on her.

After a couple of hours, we reached a teleportation point, from which we teleported to the vicinity of the castle grounds. By then, it was already dark, so they decided to wait till the next morning to get down to business.

Thus, we were escorted to the guest wing of the castle, where we were each given a room to stay it. We were also told that we could freely explore the guest wing if we felt like it.

As for the rooms themselves...they were pretty great.

Mine was probably a good five times bigger than my room at the inn back in the Rustlands, it had a large bed with an incredibly comfortable mattress and sheets, an attached bathroom that was just slightly smaller than my inn room, and it even felt like it was air-conditioned. They achieved that effect using a crystal known as a Cooling Crystal, it worked similarly to how Light Crystals worked, except that instead of glowing when you ran your Mana through it, it would cool down the air around it, and a high quality one could last for upwards of a good five hours or so.

It was just the right temperature too, neither too cold nor not cold enough. They were pretty expensive, so I had never really considered getting one in the Rustlands, but I might think about getting one now. I could afford it now that I could take on Quests.

The floor was polished marble and the walls were painted white, the room had four Light Crystals, one in each corner. This was probably the nicest room I'd ever stayed in.

It was around 10 PM now, and I really didn't feel that sleepy. I felt wide awake despite the fact that I had gotten almost no sleep last night. How should I pass the time till I'm ready to sleep?

I considered exploring the castle for a moment, but decided against it. I was confident in my skills at sneaking around, but if I messed up and got caught, I might be assumed to be a spy or something, and this whole alliance thing could go up in smoke, at the very least I'd almost definitely be in hot water.

...yeah, that wasn't worth risking.

Maybe I could go hang out with Persia...?

...I really wanted to, but visiting her at this hour at night...I don't think I can quite bring myself to be that bold yet.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as I heard a knock on my door.

Could that be her? I opened the door expectantly...

"Oh, it's just you, Az," I sighed after opening it, "What's up?"

"You seem disappointed. Actually, the Cooling Crystal in my room isn't working, so I thought I'd come here while they fix it."