Chapter 29 - Road to Goldway(Part 1)

So, today I found out that I despise bowing before someone.

All of us who would be embarking on the quest had gathered at the royal palace, where we were taken to meet the ruler of this nation, King Decorro Rustlands. He looked to be in his mid-forties, with thick, maroonish-brown hair and a close-cropped beard.

It was just a typical, 'do your best for our country' type speech to inspire us or whatever, but while we were in his presence, we had to bow down before him.

Since coming to this world, I had learnt to keep my blunt comments in check thanks to my time working part-time jobs, but I couldn't lie, bowing before someone felt absolutely humiliating. It was something I'd never done in my old world, and doing it for the first time in my lives today felt utterly degrading, though I couldn't quite put it into words and explain why.

Yes, I know that's petty as hell, but I can't help it, okay?

Anyway, we were back outside the castle now, getting ready to leave.

A total of fifteen people would be a part of this Quest.

And to make the journey, we had been provided with a reinforced carriage that would transport the royal representatives, which included three people, the Crown Prince Ocroed Rustlands, and two trusted advisors, Rist Sivoda and Erhtaph Ragiu. Yeah, Ragiu as in Misen's father.

Heh, thanks to that fact, it was no wonder that Misen acted like he had no choice in this matter.

In addition to that carriage, there were also three large carts, one would be carrying the gifts that we were to take to Goldway, and the other two were for us to store our belongings and rest in. Though the carts were quite big, two carts were still a bit too cramped for twelve people to share, so we had also brought along a few tents for when we set up camp at night.

Oh, and by twelve, I mean the ten student Adventurers and the two instructors. The chosen instructors were Paark Trocuelo and Lidui Uensh. The latter of whom looked pretty unhappy to be here.

No surprise there.

Oh right, and there were also the drivers and horses for the carriage and carts.

The road to Goldway was a fairly long one, we would head in the direction of the Goblin caves, and then go past that area, which was a long, rocky, winding stretch surrounded by tall cliffs and caves. And the closer we get to Goldway, the more powerful monsters we'll be running into.

We wouldn't be running into too many animals or plants in this stretch, minus a few lizards, rats or snakes perhaps, so we had to carry quite a bit of canned food.

Water wasn't a problem since we had a couple of Water Magic users, we just had to carry a couple of barrels, and when they ran out, we just refill them using their magic.

And we had also each been given a set of Spell Scrolls and small, clear marbles called Mana Orbs. These orbs were really useful, as they could store a enormous amount of Mana in them.

You could regularly pour your Mana into them, creating an external reserve, and if you ever ran out of Mana at a bad time, you could then extract the Mana you had stored in the orb and replenish your internal supply within a few seconds.

However, since each person's Mana has a unique signature, much like DNA or fingerprints, once you pour your Mana into an orb, you'll be the only person who can extract and take in the Mana from that particular orb.

We had each received five Spell Scrolls, including ones for healing, barrier, speed boost, strength boost and stamina recovery. The last three all came with detrimental side effects upon use though. I didn't plan on using any of them, I didn't want to get too reliant of too many tools. Of course, I'll keep them on me just in case.