Chapter 14 - Two Weeks Left

A few days had passed, it was the next weekend, and we were just a couple of days away from the Brawl of Glory Tournament registration to open.

But that wasn't the only thing on my mind. No, I still couldn't fully process what I'd learnt last Monday. That day, I spoke to Rai in private after classes were over. First, I let him know that I did know what Japanese was, and yes, I used the Japanese word for black, Kuro, as my first name.

He then started freaking out excitedly, which got really annoying really fast. Once he calmed down, I asked him to compare history notes of his old world with mine, to make sure he was from the same world.

At first, everything matched, but we soon ran into a few minor differences here and there. We then assumed that we were probably from two near identical worlds, but not the exact same one. We had both died around the same time period, his knowledge of technology and entertainment was similar to mine.

His life had been a lot different to mine though. He had been born with a disease and spent most of his life indoors with anime, movies and games, and then succumbed to his illness in his late teens. He then said...

"That's why I'm so full of life and energy in this world! I had none in my old world, so I decided to enjoy every second of this life to the fullest!"

Whatever, it's not like a reason like that would make me more tolerant of his annoying personality. Well...maybe just a little. He then asked me about my old life.

I briefly went over my childhood of being human trafficked across the globe, until ending up with an assassin who decided to make me his apprentice, and then my time as a professional assassin, till I got captured and then tortured for the last three years of my life until I eventually died.

"Oh yeah, so I might have told Persia that last part, about my torture. Of course, I tweaked a few details so that it would sound like it happened in this world, and that I don't remember much of anything from before three years ago. She came to the conclusion that I had been captured by a group known as Magic Research something."

"Hmm, it was probably the right call to keep the reincarnation part to yourself. Having multiple backstories could end up being pretty messy though, you should be careful. Also, I've heard rumors about the organizationthat call themselves Magic Research Group. The name sounds pretty innocuous, but according to the rumors they're a messed up, independent cult-like organization with enough influence to keep all five countries from directly interfering with them."

After that, we began talking about our reincarnations.

"When I died and then was suddenly in front of God, all shining and stuff, I was speechless!"

"Didn't the glowy dude tell you he wasn't God, though? I just refer to him as not-God."

"Well, he did say that he wasn't...but he was probably just being modest or something!"

Like me, he too ended up requesting to keep his old memories. But the rest of his customization was a lot different. Unlike me, he started off reincarnating as a baby, born to a family called the Rumels.

"Being a baby felt super weird, though it was kinda nice to have everything done for me. But mostly it was weird, especially when it came to breastfeeding-."

"TMI! I do not need that mental image, thank you very much!"

"What about you, how long have you been in this world for?"

"About...three and a half months, I guess? I didn't grow up here, I was reincarnated as a sixteen year old and dropped outside the walls of the Rustlands. If anyone asks, my backstory is that I grew up here as a homeless orphan, with no memory of any family."