Chapter 40 - Apocalyptic

I moved my hands in front of me and began pooling Mana from both of them, rapidly charging up an orb of lightning as the Zombies closed in on me, less than a hundred and fifty meters away now, the torrential downpour growing stronger and stronger as the sun set, the sky darkening.

I can't afford to cut off my hands right now, so I'll fire it the normal way. The ball of lightning between my palms crackled as sparks streaked out from it, growing stronger and stronger as I pooled more and more Mana into it.

This blast was taking about thirty percent of my total Mana.

As the gap between me and them shrunk down to around fifty meters...I braced myself and fired out the compressed ball of lightning, taking a step back to make sure the recoil didn't upset my balance.

"Take this, you bastards...Lightning Incineration Canon!"

With a hiss and crackle, the large mass of lightning blasted through them like a massive drill, eradicating most of the ones in front in an instant.

"Heh...you've gotta be kidding...that probably took out around a hundred of them at the most...their numbers sure don't look any smaller though," I grinned wistfully, firing out all my remaining poison needles.

To my surprise, they actually worked, the Zombies they struck lifelessly dropped to ground immediately. I soon ran out of needles, drawing my blades and bracing myself as I entered Bloodlust Mode and triggered Lightning Boost at x2.5...

...they were just twenty meters away now...

As slivers of moonlight crept out from behind the heavy rainclouds, dimly illuminating my rainy surroundings, a Zombie at the front of their charge sprang at me, his jaw wide open.

I sidestepped his chomp and slashed down, taking off his head, as the literal tidal wave of undead reached me.

I was maxing out my perception as much as I could, dangerously close to my eyeballs exploding...but even with that I couldn't follow the movements of all of them. There were too many...

I can't let them get past me...I need to stay alive for as long as I possibly can...so long as I'm still human, they'll stick around me...but the moment I get scratched or bitten and begin turning into one of them, they'll lose interest in me and could go after the others.

So I evaded and dodged, attacked and counter-attacked....

It was like a blur of countless rotting teeth and bony hands reaching for me, and it was all happening so fast that I was barely able to breathe or think, I was purely reacting and moving on instinct. If I let up and stopped moving for even a fraction of a second...it'll be over for me.

I dodged a Zombie to my right, before jumping over a wave approaching in front of me, stepping on their heads at an angle that would break their necks.

As I landed, two more sprang up from my left, they were of similar height so I slashed off both their heads in one strike...and then from behind them, five more appeared.

I dealt a swift kick to the midsection of one of the ones I'd just taken down, knocking back two of the approaching Zombies. Before I knew it, a bunch more appeared behind me.

I flipped myself and stood on my hands, fluidly rotating my waist to swing my legs around in a rapid arc, knocking back the Zombies crowding me.

The amount of room I had to move was shrinking fast, as more and more Zombies gathered around me.

There was no end to them...I could cut off ten heads, but a hundred more show up to take their place.

Adrenaline and instinct were keeping me going, as the margin of my evasions shrunk with every passing second, my blades slick with their half-coagulated blood, making it harder and harder to slash them with each one I cut down.