Chapter 9 - The Mock Tournament(Part 1)

"Okay, now to explain the rules. I said one-on-one, but technically speaking, each group will be competing against each other."

Let me summarize.

Each group would be matched up with each other in a round robin format, and each fight will be a one-on-one battle between one member from each group. Basically, if the first match was A vs B, then one person from A would fight one person from B. The person who loses is then eliminated and can take no further part in the tournament.

If all the members of a group are eliminated, then that group is out of the tournament.

The tournament would then continue till all groups except one have been eliminated.

As for the fights themselves, they wouldn't be fights to the death or whatever, we were only allowed to attack with Elemental Magic, and landing a single heavy strike would result in a win, or of course, if your opponent gave up.

Things that could get us disqualified included using regular physical attacks, attacking excessively or using enough force to kill your opponent, or attacking your opponent after they give up.

That about covers it.

The tournament then began. The first match up was A vs C, the winner of that round would face group B in the second match, and the loser would face group D in the third match.

"Hey, I was just wondering, what kind of Animas do you two have? You don't have any mutations to give it away," Inquired Rai at Key and Azyl, as the first match began.

Neither of them spoke up for a while, before Azyl finally broke the silence, as Key avoided making eye contact with the rest of us.

"She doesn't like talking about hers. As for me, I have a frog Anima," He said, taking off his armored gloves to reveal webbed hands.

"Hey, you okay, Kuro? You look a little pale," Said Persia, staring at me.

"M-me? I'm totally fine, why wouldn't I be!? Something, uh, just sort of got stuck in my throat," I answered, a bit too quickly.

There was no way I could ever let them find out...

"You did seem a bit drained during the first two sessions too, are you getting enough sleep?"

"Geez, you sound like my mom. Well, not that I've ever had one, so 'a mom' would be more accurate," I replied in my usual manner, having calmed down.

"Well, excuse me for showing a little concer-."

"Looks like it's finally our turn!" Exclaimed Rai.

"Huh, that was pretty fast," I muttered.

"Which of us should go first?" Inquired Key, looking at the rest of us.

I took a quick glance at the other teams. I hadn't been watching the first two fights, but based on their facial expressions, what had probably happened was that A won both the first and second matches, which meant we were fighting team B first. Based on their body language, they were definitely unhappy about having lost their first match, which meant they would want to guarantee a win in this match.

Meaning that they would probably send out their strongest player. Besides, since we had been branded the Leftovers of the class, none of the other groups would want to be the first to lose to us.

"Mind if I start us off?" I volunteered, before any of the others decided to do so.

"I have no issue with that," Replied Key, with a nod.

"Alright, knock em dead, buddy!" Encouraged Rai, slapping me on the back.

Don't call me buddy.

"Um...do your best," Said Persia, a bit awkwardly.