Chapter 43 - Don't Kill Me Off So Easily

The room was surprisingly free of dust. I lit up the oil lamp, a dim, orange glow illuminating the small space.

I took off the pouches on my sides and untied my blades off my arms, heading straight to the bathroom. I took a look at myself in the old, stained mirror...and almost startled myself.

Wow, I looked way worse than I'd imagined. I...can't believe that guard really let me back in looking like this.

I grabbed a quick shower...or I planned for it to be quick, but scrubbing off all the dirt and grime on my body took a while. I let out a sigh of relief as I finished cleaning myself.

Oh, wow...it felt so good to be clean again!

I dried myself and picked up the wooden comb I'd left in the room. I was going to sleep now, so I don't need actually need to comb my hair, but I really wanted to straighten out the mass of tangles in it.

And, admittedly, I also wanted to see exactly how long it had grown out. It turned out to be about a centimeter past my eyes.

Should I cut it, or should I leave it?

Eh, I'll decide some other time.

I jumped up and belly flopped onto the bed, sinking my face into the below and sighing contentedly.

A real, actual bed instead of a rock...I was so happy that I could cry.

I was back, baby!

I let out a long, loud yawn, my eyes watering with drowsiness.

I couldn't wait...for...tomorrow...

With that thought, my consciousness started slowly drifting away, as I fell asleep....

...

...

I woke up the next day around evening time, my face and arms covered in those sleep marks that get imprinted on your skin after a good nap, as I let out a yawn and stretched out.

I stared up at the ceiling with a slight smile, still finding it hard to sink in that I was really back. It felt almost too good to be true...

Well, then...time to get up.

I washed up and got dressed, putting on a black v-neck t-shirt and black trousers. I then combed my hair, brushing the front straight down, covering my forehead and eyes, before tucking the left third of it behind my ear.

Hey, I kinda liked this look on me...I'd probably have to use a headband or something when I fight since this hairstyle kinda obstructs my right eye's view, but I think I'll style it this way when I'm taking it easy.

Assuming that I don't decide to cut it later.

The mechanical clock in my room had stopped working, but based on the hue of the sunlight, I'd say it was somewhere between 5 and 6 PM. Well, that was the most comfortable sleep I'd gotten in a month, so it's no wonder I'd fallen so fast asleep last night.

Now, then...I had been holding back for a while now, but I couldn't suppress this one desire any longer...I wanted to see Persia!

...how though? Was today a weekday or weekend?

Guess it didn't matter, even if it was a weekday, Academy classes would have already ended a couple of hours ago, so I was unlikely to run into her there.

I could go to her house, I knew where it was since our group had met up there a few times to hold study groups before our exams...but if she wasn't home and her parents answered the door, that'd be too awkward for me to handle.