Chapter 21 - Kuro vs Misen(Part 1)

"...ake up."

Huh? Was I hearing things?

...whatever, back to sleep.

"Hey, wake up!"

"H-huh, wha-!? Nip slip...er...wait what? Oh, crap!"

I woke up with a start, blinking a couple of times before calming myself down. The last thing that I saw before I drifted off had influenced quite the risqué dream.

Wait, who just woke me up?

I turned my head towards where the voice had come from, my gaze met by Persia's piercing black eyes. Shit, did she hear what I'd said before I woke up? Wait, calm down.

Chances are that the term 'nip slip' doesn't exist in this world. Play it cool.

"Hey, Kitty Cat. How long have I been out?"

"Oh, uh, I don't know. I literally just woke up, only to find you next to me. Did you...lose-?"

"Of course not. Didn't I tell you that I'd win? Sure, I sustained a lot, lot more damage than my opponent, but I still came out on top in the end."

"Wait...really?"

"Why do you sound like you were expecting me to lose?"

"No, that wasn't what I meant! You just didn't look like someone who had just won a fight, your injuries may have healed, but your battle gear is in total pieces, and your sword is half as long as it used to be."

Guess she had a point, I didn't look like someone who had just won a fight.

"Oh crap, my sword! Wait, wait, wait. How long have I been out? There's an hour break scheduled between the end of the third round and the start of the semi-final round, but I feel like I've been asleep for more than an hour...no, surely someone would have come to wake me up if I had overslept, it'd be pretty anticlimactic for a semi-final match to end with a default win, after all. But then...ahh, I don't know what to think! Oh hey, on another note, my Mana and stamina feel almost completely restored. Nice."

"...did you get hit in the head or something?"

Yup, in fact one of my eardrums exploded.

"As a matter of fact, I did, actually. Forget that for now, I need some peace of mind, what time is it-!?"

"Calm down, you've still got a fair amount of time," Interrupted a voice, as the infirmary door opened and Vi walked in.

"Oh hey, it's you. How much time has passed since I fell asleep?"

"Um, about fifty minutes. Though we're still about thirty-five minutes away from the start of the next round. In case you're wondering about the fourth match, Fuo beat Siert. It was an extremely close fight, neither of them were able to dominate the other for long. In the end though, Fuo's arrows managed to get past Siert's defenses," She explained, her gaze averting every time I made eye contact.

Crap, she must be feeling awkward about what happened before I passed out. I'll just pretend like I don't remember.

"Are you alright? You're acting kinda...squirmy, Vi," Remarked Persia, staring at her curiously while giving me a suspicious side glance.

Gulp. Alright, just play it cool.

"Wha-? N-no, nothing's wrong! I, uh...just, well, before Kuro fell asleep..."

No, no, no! I was not about to let this escalate. I'd seen enough fanservice-y anime to know that I need to shut this down ASAP.

"Hm? Did I do something before I passed out? I...don't really remember, the last thing I can recall is you helping me here, and then there were the healing Spell Scrolls...and the rest is kind of a blur," I said, acting like I was trying hard to remember.