Chapter 28 - A New Mission

Alright, whatever happens, just stay calm.

Misen knocked and entered the room, as I followed in after him. The Headmasters' office, with the man himself, Raedal Yiserir, seated in front of desk inside. He was slightly balding, with white hair and a long white beard.

Despite his age, I could sense that he wasn't weak by any stretch of the imagination. He apparently kept his Anima to himself, and I couldn't see any physical mutations that could clue me in on what it was.

"Ah, Kuro Black, welcome. Let's cut straight to the chase, shall we? According to Misen Ragiu, you and your group assisted him with the Quest that I assigned him upon orders from the royal family. And when you came across the objective of the Quest, a virtually unknown plant, you were quick to identify it. You must know that seems a bit suspicious. Please understand that we aren't accusing you of anything, but are simply requesting an explanation in order to avoid any unnecessary misunderstandings."

He seemed to be telling the truth...looks like they weren't trying to convict me.

"Sure, no problem. But before that, I'm a bit curious about something, do you mind?" I replied calmly.

"Very well, what is it?"

"This was a pretty important assignment, so why wasn't it given to an official Adventurer instead of a Student Adventurer?"

"Ah, that's a good question. The truth is, until the alliance with Goldway is officially secured, the Rustlands will be in quite a tricky situation. If any of the other nations had been planning to attack or take over us, it will become significantly more difficult to do so after we're officially allied with Goldway, so their last chance to do so will be before that happens. To that end, all our Adventurers have been made alert, they must remain within the Rustlands and be ready to defend it at a moments notice. Right now, Quests are only being carried out by the Academy's Student Adventurers. There's not a single full-fledged Adventurer who is taking on Quests right now. In fact, the royal family decided that even for the mission to Goldway that departs next week, we will not be sending any Adventurers to act as bodyguards for our royal representatives, the Adventurers will continue to be stationed inside the Rustlands as a defensive measure. Our hope is that the presence of all our Adventurers will be enough to deter any potential attacks. Of course, this may very well be simply a paranoid or overly cautious measure, but it is better safe than sorry. So, instead...the representatives we send to Goldway are to be guarded by a select group of our strongest Student Adventurers," He explained.

Huh, come to think of it, whenever I had gone to the Guild to take on a Quest lately, it was always pretty uncrowded.

Wait, what was that last part again?

"Uh, what did you just say, sir?" Asked Misen, his eyes widening.

"Is that...really a good idea?" I said incredulously.

"Why not? The current batch of students at this Academy possibly have the greatest overall potential we've ever had in the history of the Rustlands. Just so you know, both of you are potential candidates for this all-important mission," Replied the Headmaster, with a smile.

Huh...

...huh...

...huhhhh!?!?!?!?!?!

Was this for real?

A Quest to Goldway...I'd no doubt get to face some powerful monsters, perhaps even some enemy Adventurers, plus I'd get to see a bit more of this world as a bonus.

"W-wait, are you being serious? Just for my own reference, when you say potential candidate, how likely are my chances of being included?" I inquired eagerly, before I could stop myself.