Chapter 39 - Goldway(Part 5)

I swung my blade across to get the blood off of it, before sheathing it and turning back towards the others.

"We must run...it vexes me to admit it, but we do not stand a chance against those creatures. They number in the tens of thousands, and with so many of our best Adventurers already gone...we simply have no hope of subduing them. No, even if we were at full strength, I would not be confident," Said the king, as we all quickly began heading back to the castle.

I noticed and realized something as I watched where all the different plumes of smoke were coming from.

"The areas that were farther away from the Forbidden Zone were the ones that got bombed...they didn't bomb the areas closer to it, so that...so that the Zombies can add to their numbers," I observed grimly.

Damn it, they had really planned this out. We quickly turned back and hurried towards the castle.

We soon reached the castle grounds, where the guards were in an absolute uproar. Adventurers were escorting surviving citizens into carts and carriages, as people ran all around in a panic.

"You must all leave immediately," King Aurich said to our group, "You are our guests, it would be a disgrace to our nation if we let you die. Please, ready your carts and carriage, and head for the gates at once. Please do not argue...I must insist."

Instructor Trocuelo looked hesitant for a moment, before nodding reluctantly, shouting at the drivers to ready the transport.

The prince and the two representatives soon arrived and got into the carriage, while the rest of us squeezed into two of the carts.

"Wait, where's Persia?" I asked, noticing that Azyl and Fuo were also missing.

"Oh, oops...I forgot to call them, they're all still in the guest wing of the castle, Persia was resting-," Responded Instructor Uensh sheepishly.

Damn it, you seriously forgot to call them down, you stupid id-!?

...ugh, calm down...no time to waste.

"You guys go on ahead, I'll catch up with Persia and the others! Hurry, before it's too late!" I instructed, dashing into the castle.

I glanced back as I entered...good, they were leaving.

I could always catch up on foot, but the carts wouldn't be able to get away if the Zombies managed to get close enough to swarm them, they needed to leave immediately and get as far a head start as they possibly could. They began moving towards the gates, as did a few of the Goldway carts carrying their civilians.

I continued heading into the castle, making it to the guest wing before long, and headed for the room I'd been staying in.

I swung open the door, and sighed in relief.

Persia was asleep on the bed, and Azyl was sitting on a chair by the window, supposedly keeping guard...though he was also asleep.

"Wake up, you two! We gotta go!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands loudly.

Azyl's eyes slowly cracked open, as I gently shook Persia's shoulders. She opened her eyes and yawned, looking at me sleepily.

"Hey...we need to get going, this place isn't safe anymore," I informed her softly, "Can you walk? I'll carry you on my back if you're too tired-."

"I'm fine, I'm fine! You're being overprotective, I feel okay, just a bit fatigued," She insisted, standing up and swinging her arms to prove it.

"Alright, if you insist," I sighed with a smile, stroking her head.