Chapter 23 - Afterwards

"Hey, it's not my fault that you kept forgetting about it, Cat Girl."

"Yeah, but...I don't know, you could have reminded me or something!" She argued.

It was the middle of June, it had been over two months since the Brawl of Glory ended, and we were just about a couple of weeks away from our mid-year exams.

After which, we'd finally be able to take on Quests.

Oh right, you're probably wondering how the rest of the tournament went.

Ekai won the second semi-final with relative ease. His opponent Fuo had briefly managed to evade his attacks while firing those ice arrows, but was helpless when he used that flame tornado attack he'd used against Persia.

As for the final, Misen put up a decent fight, his spear was able to sort of match and counter Ekai's flames, but he eventually ran out of steam and was overwhelmed by his opponent's immense literal firepower.

And that was that.

Oh yeah, and since I'd finished as a semi-finalist, I was guaranteed a minimum of B-Rank when I graduated and became an Adventurer, though that was still over two and half years away. But more immediately, after the mid-year exams were done, I'd be given an interim B-Rank and be able to take on upto A-Ranked Quests, which my Group members were permitted to accompany me on.

A few days after the tournament, the Academy's Headmaster, Raedal Yiserir, called me to his office. I'd been pretty nervous, with no idea why he'd called me, but it just turned out to be him commending and encouraging me for my performance in the tournament.

Well, this country is known for having the weakest Adventurers among the five countries, so I guess it made sense that they'd get excited over a strong first year student. Later I heard that Gela, Rai and Persia had been called by him too.

As for the upperclassmen we'd met in the tournament, we thankfully hadn't run in to Misen since then, while Vi would often greet us whenever she'd see us. On the training front, I've continued sneaking out of the walls about once every three nights, and Persia joins me most of the time.

I'd also eventually managed to get Persia to tell me about the blades she'd gotten me.

Turns out that her parents run a high-end weapon and equipment shop in addition to their jobs as merchants, and after I'd broken my old dagger on the first day of the tournament, she'd asked the blacksmith who worked for them to forge the weapons. Apparently Black Steel could be forged into weapons pretty easily and quickly, that's why they were ready by the next day.

That had been a pretty flustered conversation, she'd been all embarrassed while explaining it, and after she finished explaining, I'd felt really touched, and didn't know what to say, as I awkwardly thanked her.

Oh, another good thing had happened. So, this one day, Arg bumped into me and said...

"Watch it, Leftover trash!"

"Huh? You bumped into me, you prick. And I'm getting pretty sick of your shit. You can act superior all you want, but let's think back to the results of the Brawl of Glory. I'm just saying, going by your logic, you were outperformed by trash. How does that make you feel?"

"Don't think you can get away with talking down to me! Y-you just got lucky, yeah, that's it!"

"Lucky? We both faced the same last opponent, and I think it's pretty undeniable that I fared a lot better. Plus my third round opponent was one of The Big Five too. Ugh, okay now it just sounds like I'm bragging. My point is...actually, I don't need to justify anything to someone like you, who's lower than trash."