Chapter 8 - Exhausted

Yeah, so it turns out, I couldn't wait till tomorrow.

Well, it was the next day now so technically today.

Last night after I'd gotten back to the inn, I couldn't fall sleep due to my anticipation and excitement, so I decided to try out that lightning internal enhancement technique and snuck out of the walls.

So, remember how I'd assumed that practicing this technique wouldn't be a problem for me?

Yeah, I was wrong.

I could bear the pain no problem, and my Healing Factor had no issues with the damage it caused. But the problem was the technique itself. First of all, evenly spreading out lightning through my entire body was insanely difficult. And once I managed to do that, maintaining the flows' even consistency was the next obstacle.

Everytime I tried moving in that state, the lightning streaming around the muscles that I move automatically increase in flow.

In the end, I used my Healing Factor so much that I'd felt completely wiped out and exhausted afterwards. By then, I had kinda gotten the hang of how to move forward in a straight line in that state, but I didn't have full control...dodging, countering and other complex movements would take a lot more practice, time and effort.

And even with dashing forward in a straight line, I could only manage to stream enough lightning through myself to just barely double my speed, attempting to spread any more lightning through my body was extremely difficult to do evenly, I kept unconsciously spreading it disproportionately, sending more to my legs and feet and less to my upper body, which ended up frying the nerves and muscles in my legs.

When using that technique, your body emits a faint blue electric glow, and the more lightning you spread out, the brighter you glow. An even glow throughout your body was an indicator of a successful execution of the technique. However mine became lopsided when I tried increasing the lightning, my legs would let out a bright glow while my upper body was a lot dimmer.

An even glow meant that the all the lightning streaming inside me was flowing at the same speed. An uneven glow meant the opposite, and causes the overall flow to become unstable and stagnate, resulting in internal damage to yourself.

I was so worn out after last night that I'd felt super lethargic during the first session today, and I was currently sleeping through the second session. I mean, it was kinda my fault for underestimating how difficult this technique would be and getting overly excited, but I couldn't help but feel a bit frustrated.

When I had been training as an assassin, things were certainly tough in the beginning, but after I'd gotten the basics down, the rest came really easy to me and I'd sort of gotten used to mastering new techniques without too much trouble. Even in this world, it didn't take me too long to get the hang of Mana and controlling the output and intensity of my lightning blasts.

But with this technique, I could tell that fully mastering it was going to take a really long time and would require a lot of practice. Man, how do people who can't heal themselves even begin to try this technique?

...and no, I'm not sulking.

I'm just frustrated that things didn't go the way I had expected them to.

Not the same thing.

I sighed and opened my drooping eyelids, sneaking a glance at the clock in the front of the classroom. Barely half an hour had passed in the second session. I groaned internally and buried my head in my arms on the desk again.

Is that what a hangover felt like? I wouldn't know, never tried alcohol in my old life, and it's not just because I was underage. I mean, I was an assassin, so not exactly a law-abiding citizen, but I was just never all that interested in getting drunk, though I had gotten high on weed a few times.