Chapter 15 - The Brawl Of Glory Begins

The time had almost come. I was just an hour or so away from the start of the tournament. Persia, Rai and I registered ourselves two weeks ago as soon as we could, but we weren't the only first years to do so.

Arg Lehosa and Gela Sorr would also be participating in it. Five first years, twelve second year students, and fifteen third years made up the thirty-two total participants.

Apparently, there had never been this many first year participants in any of the previous Brawl of Glory tournaments, the most before this was only two.

The match ups had already been decided, and had been posted up.

The only way for me to fight Misen Ragiu was to win the first three rounds, in other words I had to make it all the way to the semi-final round. And there were some obstacles.

Namely, those students that were collectively known as The Big Five were the main problem. See, second and third year students are allowed to issue challenges for one-on-one duels, and the Academy used the results of these duels to rank the students. It wasn't necessary to have a high rank in this system to graduate, it was more like an extracurricular bonus, graduating with a high rank was kinda like saying you were a prefect in highschool, it's not compulsory but it does make you look better.

At the moment, the students who were currently occupying the top five spots in this system were way ahead of the rest, and were referred to by the other students as The Big Five.

The ranks at 6th and below were constantly changing, but the top five had been unchanged for over a month now. Four of them were third years, and one was a second year. First years weren't yet allowed to duel, that'd be available to us by the last couple of months of our first year.

Misen Ragiu was currently in second place, he'd been at fourth back when he attacked us the first time we met.

In first was a guy with Fire Magic called Ekai Zabel, he was rumored to be powerful enough to take on S-Ranked Adventurers. In third was a Water Magic user, a guy named Siert Huet. Fourth was a girl named Fuo Wesroh, also a Water type.

And in fifth was the second year student, a girl with Earth Magic called Vi Loubder. These five were the favorites to win the Brawl of Glory.

I wouldn't face any of them within the first two rounds, but if I make it past that point, I'll be unable to avoid facing them. The odds would certainly be against me, that's for sure. Still, I was fairly confident in my current abilities. I had managed to gain full control of Lightning Boost upto a x2.2 multiplier boost, and my physical condition was the best I'd ever been in.

I had also been working on another technique that I thought might come in handy, I hadn't fully mastered it but I had a decent enough grasp of it to use it in a real fight. Well, you'll see soon enough.

During the last two weeks, I had extended my nightly training sessions as much as possible, pushing myself beyond my limits during my solo nights, and intensifying the sparring sessions every other night with Persia. As a result, I was hardly awake during classes, and got fired from one of my part-time jobs. But thanks to that, I genuinely felt like I had done everything I possibly could to get as strong as possible with the time I had available.

And while my original goal in this was simply to get even with Misen Ragiu, I couldn't help feeling excited about seeing how my abilities would fare in a tournament like this. I knew better than to get too far ahead of myself though. I needed to take this one match at a time, I wouldn't last long if I got too carried away.

Oh, and killing your opponent was impossible in this tournament. It's not that it was banned, but literally impossible. See, each match takes place within a closed barrier, which is activated using a Spell Scroll. First off, the barrier was extremely tough and wouldn't break easily, this was to keep the audience from getting caught up in the crossfire.