Chapter 17 - The Brawl Of Glory: Round Two(Part 1)

"This is delicious," I sighed contentedly.

This was, by a distance, the best meal I'd had since coming to this world. Heck, maybe the best meal I've had in both my lives. The buffet was stocked with plenty of different kinds of meat, it was like a dream. Well, there were also other dishes, but I ignored everything that wasn't meat.

The room was filled with plenty of tables, each big enough to seat five people, though some of the competitors sat alone while they ate. I was sitting with Persia and Rai, with Misen thankfully sitting at a table well away from us. He was with Siert, who looked like he wanted to run away from him but didn't have the nerve to.

Man, how was someone that strong so weak willed?

"You sure aren't holding back, are you?" Said Rai, staring at the pile of meat on my plate.

"It's not everyday I get to gorge myself on top grade meat like this, I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't make full use of this. I'll never understand people who go on vegetarian, and especially vegan, diets," I replied, chomping down on a mouthful of lamb.

"Huh? What's vegan mean?" Inquired Persia curiously.

I glanced at Rai, and from his expression, it looked like that was a concept that didn't exist in this world, not yet anyway.

"Oh, uh...it's-," I began, trying to think of an explanation that wouldn't sound suspicious.

"Hi there! Do you mind if I join this table, first years?" Interrupted a friendly sounding voice.

I turned towards the direction it came from. Vi Loubder, the fifth ranked at the Academy, was standing by our table with a smile. No thanks, nothing personal but four's too much of a crowd. Especially with a stranger.

I'd probably come off as rude, but I wanted to maximize my enjoyment of this meat, and letting someone I don't know sit with us could make things a bit uncomfortable and lessen the experience for me.

Hmm, but I should probably avoid being too blunt like I usually am. I began to politely refuse, but before I could say anything...

"Of course! We don't mind at all!" Replied Rai cheerfully.

Hey, who's 'we'!? I mind! I very much mind!

Damn it...now it'd be way too rude to turn her away.

"Thanks! I'm Vi Loubder. I came over here because you first years are really interesting! Before this, first year students participating in these tournaments was a rarity, and even when it did happen, they rarely did too well. But this year, five first years entered and all five made it past the first round! So, my curiosity was piqued. I tried talking to the other two first years, but they made it clear that they didn't want company, and they didn't even try to be subtle. For a moment I expected you three to do the same!"

Yeah, one of us almost did.

"Those guys are like that to everyone, don't take it personally. We aren't like that at all though!" Assured Rai.

Speak for yourself.

"I can see that. Hey, girl with the cat ears! You're name's...Perisa, right? Was that Propulsion you were using? I've never seen it used so well before, I was really surprised when you changed directions at the end despite that incredible speed! That was easily the best display and mastery of Propulsion I've ever seen!"

"Um...m-my name's Persia. And yeah, th-that was Propulsion. W-was it really that great, I dunno, I feel like I still have a lot of room for improvement. But, um, thanks a lot, Miss Loubder, I a-appreciate you saying all that," She stuttered sheepishly, looking pleased to receive a compliment.