Chapter 37 - Goldway(Part 3)

The second day of our stay in Goldway was a pretty uneventful one. Unlike the previous day, I stayed indoors with Persia all day, and...okay, uneventful isn't quite the right word, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, at late evening, around 6 PM, we heard a knock on the door.

"Yeah, who is it?" I inquired from behind the door.

"It's Instructor Trocuelo...we're all to gather by the guest entrance within ten minutes. Don't be late."

"Wonder what's going on," I mused, as he left and we began getting dressed.

"No idea, but we should probably hurry," She replied, stumbling as she put on one of her boots.

I caught her before she could fall, as we quickly finished getting ready, before leaving the room and heading for where the others were gathered.

"Hey, Az. You look like you just woke up," I said, greeting my sleepy-eyed yawning teammate.

"How perceptive of you," He replied dryly, rubbing his drowsy eyes.

Before long, the others had all gathered, and we headed for the throne room where the king was waiting for us.

"My guests from the Rustlands, I do hope that our hospitality thus far has been acceptable. Let me start by informing everyone that the nations of Goldway and the Rustlands are now officially allied with each other. We were fortunate to be able to come to an agreement rather smoothly and without any delay..."

He went on to explain that to celebrate the alliance by, upon the suggestion of his trusted advisor Valse Darrte, they would be serving an extravagant feast for us in the castle tonight, followed by holding a friendly bout of exhibition matches tomorrow afternoon between us and their Adventurers.

We would then begin heading back to the Rustlands by the day after tomorrow. They had already sent ten of their S-Ranked Adventurers along with several empty carts to clear up the corpses of the white-robes we'd fought and killed, as well as to plug up the mini-crater in the road that had formed when the underground cave we escaped from collapsed.

I was having a slightly hard time focusing on what he was saying though, thanks to the bloodlust the person next to him was directing at the person next to me.

That bastard was definitely planning something. The fact that he had been the one who suggested both the dinner feast and exhibition matches made me uneasy, sabotaging either of those events would be pretty easy.

I'll have to stay alert and keep my guard up around him.

Anyway...after some discussion, both parties agreed to have eight exhibition fights tomorrow. As the discussion ended, we were dismissed, and began heading back to our rooms.

Before that, the instructors gathered us to discuss which of us would be fighting in the exhibition matches.

"I think it's pretty simple. We exclude these two useless deadweights and the remaining eight of us should fight," Shrugged Misen bluntly, nodding at Bom and Mijy.

They both grimaced but said nothing.

I did feel kinda bad for them, but Misen had a point...he could have been a bit less direct about it though.

Wait, when did I start thinking like that? It wasn't that long ago when I would have seen nothing wrong with it.

"It doesn't really matter, it's just a bunch of friendly exhibition matches, it's not like there's anything at stake," I shrugged.

"He's right, and even if that wasn't the case, you really should be a bit more tactful, Ragiu," Added Vi, frowning at him.

"Er, how about we ask everyone whether they want to participate or not?" Suggested Instructor Trocuelo, trying to ease the tensions, "Do either of you want to fight?"