Chapter 19 - The Brawl Of Glory: Round Three(Part 1)

"Nervous, Cat Girl?"

"Shut up...how could I not be?"

I was on my way to the Rustlands Stadium with Persia, the tournament would continue at 11 AM, which was about an hour away, and we were about ten minutes from the stadium now. She looked pretty tense though, as she was nervous about her next match.

She had won both her first two matches with ease, but her next opponent was the toughest possible one in the whole tournament.

"If it makes you feel any better, my next match is far from a cakewalk too, you kno-."

"Whatever, it's not as tough as mine. Guess I just have to face it and do my best, though winning against that much literal firepower is too hard to even imagine. Well, anyway. Why'd you leave so soon yesterday? You missed out, the food was so good. Especially those fried frog le-."

"I-I told you, I had to find a new dagger and get some replacement gear for the pairs that got damaged yesterday," I interrupted.

I mean, I guess it was good that she was trying to change the subject instead of continuing to mope, but not if she planned on talking about frogs. Last night I'd dreamt that I'd been captured by giant frogs, and they kept chopping off my limbs and eating them after deep-frying them. My limbs kept growing back, and they kept chopping them off and eating them.

I'd woken up this morning in a cold sweat, that had been one of the most terrifying nightmares I'd ever had in my life. Or well, lives. And all it took to trigger it had been a brief glimpse of fried frog legs.

"So, did you?"

"Huh?"

"Did you find replacements for everything that got damaged in yesterday's matches?"

"Oh. Well, I bought a couple more pairs of battle gear, but I wasn't able to find a dagger that felt right. I'll have my left hand free today, so I'll use it to fire more lightning bolts and use my needles, wire and throwing knives more too," I sighed, recalling my futile hunt to replace my broken dagger.

I'd searched all over the place, but all the options I came across just felt a bit off one way or another, either the weight felt wrong, or the length wasn't quite right, or the shape was the issue.

And I'd rather not use a weapon at all than use a weapon I'm not fully comfortable with, so I decided to use my short-sword on its own while carrying a lot more smaller throwing weapons like poison needles and the like.

"We're almost there. Oh yeah, after you left, I heard someone mention that the Rustlands royal family will be in the stadium to watch the remainder of the tournament," Commented Persia, as the stadium came into view.

"Huh, is that so? Speaking of which, I wonder what the royal family's name is, I just realized that I don't know a thing about them."

Yeah, beyond the fact that they're in charge of the major decisions in the running of the country while leaving the more minor management decisions to the government, I didn't know a thing about them, not even their family name.

"You're kidding right? It's literally what the country is named after."

"Wait, for real? So the last name of the members of the royal family is Rustlands? Does that go for the other countries too?"

"...your lack of general knowledge is a bit concerning sometimes. Yeah, every country is named after the royal family that runs it. How do you not know that?"

"Uh...oh, look! It's Rai and the others."

Whew, that conversation had been starting to make me look pretty stupid, so for once, I was glad to see the blonde hyperactive pinball.