Chapter One

She felt like she had been dropped from a plane without a parachute, and when she shot up from the bed with violent coughs leaving her throat, she felt as if her body had smacked against the ground

She felt like she had been dropped from a plane without a parachute, and when she shot up from the bed with violent coughs leaving her throat, she felt as if her body had smacked against the ground. She held her stomach as she coughed, her throat dry as she reached to fist the blanket below her. She took big, weak breaths that made her go dizzy, and her eyes were wide as saucers when she opened them.

The room was deadly quiet besides her breathing and the crackle of a fire, and she remained the only one in the room. She felt her body tremble, and she looked down to her hands as they shook violently. She looked down to the blanket, then the walls and the lights. She looked to the floorboards and to the big, black doors.

Her eyes were wide and her body shook, because she absolutely remembered everything.

She couldn't move, and she released a loud, panicked gasp as she fisted the blanket. Her chest was heaving harshly, tears beginning to pour in her eyes as breathing became difficult. "Oh, G-" She tried speaking but she couldn't, and she grabbed her throat as she looked around the room.

She now remembered Helena, her mother that had taken her life. She remembered when her personality had changed with a flip of a switch and became a cold, dark person. She remembered the day they got tattoos and spent a night out on the town. She remembered when she felt a sick feeling in her stomach when she left for work. The dark, red stain of her blood on the floor and crying for her lifeless body.

She now remembered Charlie, her father who had passed away from cancer when she was fourteen. She remembered the way he told cheesy jokes and how he liked grilling out in the yard on Sundays. He spoiled her and bought her shiny new toys when his paychecks came in, she remembered all of it.

She remembered her job, and her coworkers she considered family. She had lost one, and she squinted her eyes as she tried remembering the girl. It started with a B. Bailey? Brandi- no, Beth! Yes, she remembered Beth and seeing her dead body.

Her friends, she remembered them. The group of six that brought her along to their adventurous events. She remembered her cold apartment and how crowded it was, along with the other residents of the building that she grew close to.

She took a big breath, a sob pushing out of her lips that was strangled. She looked up, her body frozen as she recognized the walls of the building. Hawthorne, this was Hawthorne. Yes, she remembered this place. This was the..warlock! This was the warlock school she had stayed at. And there was a boy there named Jack. God, she remembered him, preferably how annoying he had been.

But all those little things, all those details of her life went away, because she suddenly remembered something much more than that.

When her mother had died, there had been someone there with her.

When she looked through pictures of Charlie of Father's Day, that same person remained beside her.

And when she lost her friends or work had been difficult, that person was there.