Chapter Six

School was neither good or bad for Anastasia

School was neither good or bad for Anastasia. She got good grades, did her homework and was respectful towards her teachers, but she didn't see a high future for her when it came to a career. She was never really bullied, she was just one of those kids who was seen and not heard. That didn't bother her though, she preferred it that way. She did have a few select friends she could somewhat tolerate though, but she had no desire to see them outside the school grounds. She felt guilty for it, but she couldn't help but resent the kids who went to her school.

They would complain and complain about how difficult their lives were, just because their mothers had asked them to do a sink of dishes or take out the trash. She always had to refrain from slapping them across the face. It was unfair they got to think those things, because they truly had it all. A family that was still together, a nice house with a big yard, even a goddamn dog.

When her dad died, there were always whispers and rumors that went about the halls, but over time, she grown used to them. Especially with a mother like Helena, causing her to gain looks of pity from teachers and certain students. Sometimes people would ask about it, or if she needed help, but she simply shrugged them off. She hadn't meant it to seem rude, but it was extremely humiliating and embarrassing.

She took all the necessary classes, but no more than she had too. She had dropped out of band, art, and choir when she had taken the job at the restaurant, an event that had brought tears to her eyes on the way home. She truly loved to draw, and oh, how she loved to play the piano. She hadn't touched one in years. But as time went on, she toughened her exterior and became numb to those things.

Helena wasted her self away and destroyed her body, but Anastasia refused to do so. She stayed motivated for her dad, she wanted to make him proud as he looked down on her from heaven. So, she forgot about pianos and what her life used to be, trading it for a shit job and uncomfortable yellow uniform.

Tears were something Ana hadn't felt in a long time. At first, it was all she did was cry. After all, who wouldn't? Her life had went to complete shit and her mother certainly didn't help. But again, she refused to wallow away in her sorrows. She would make her father proud. Some days were easier than others, depending on how verbally abusive Helena would decide to be for that day. Ana always told herself she didn't mean it, but sometimes she really wondered if that were true.

But in all darkness, light could still be found. She was fond of the friends she created at the diner, and it really wasn't that difficult of job. Those were always the things that really kept her on the straight path, that routine. But nowadays, that little sparkle of light turned into a great big beacon. Michael Langdon brought Anastasia Grey a certain joy in her life that was exciting and terrifying all at once.

The girl trudged along the sidewalk, wincing slightly at the pain in her feet. They had to run a mile in gym today, and she hadn't been graced with the proper running shoes. And it was a Thursday too, a night that was usually busy. And to top it off, she was running five minutes late. So, really, the day had been shit.