Chapter Eighteen

"Are you sure it's okay that I stay?" Michael asked for the third time

"Are you sure it's okay that I stay?" Michael asked for the third time. The two walked hand in hand as they made their way back to the apartment. Ana had been right, because it had been extremely busy. But that only made her happy spirits soar further. The girl wasn't exactly sure if he was purposely avoiding talking to her about Helena, but she didn't pry. Because truthfully, she didn't need to. The only thing in the world she needed was to work and Michael, a thought she never imagined herself having.

"Yeah, of course." She huddled against him in the cold. "I want you to." Before, she had wanted to be alone, too afraid of him seeing her have another breakdown. But, it was growing increasingly hard to stay away from him, and he was a good distractions for her.

Michael smiled, kissing the top of her curly head as he squeezed her hand. Despite the fact that spring was settling itself in all around them, the cold air continued to nip at their exposed skin. Though, Ana always liked winter. The holidays were something her family had always celebrated largely, and the memories often inhabited her dreams. It was silly, thinking about the holidays when it was only mid March. Yet, the cold air washed bittersweet memories into her like ocean waves against hot, grainy sand.

It got her thinking, and she wasn't even registering that Michael was talking. Helena was gone, so that left a lot of responsibilities for her to do. There were things to go through and get rid of, hell, she hadn't even told her extended family. But, she really didn't think they would bat an eye at the news. She was still counting her blessings, however. Despite the tragedies that seemed to be following her around like a rain cloud, there were positives.

For one thing, she would be eighteen in a few weeks. And the authorities decided not to get social services involved, considering it would have been pointless in a matter of days. Besides, it was clear that the girl was the homemaker. Records showed years of her activity, work and school included.

Another thing; Helena was to be cremated. It wasn't something Ana really wanted to do, but throughout her whole life that's what her mother always said she wanted. So, that would definitely save her some money, and she did have a couple thousand left in her account from Michael. Every now and then she always checked it, just to make sure he was secretly sneaking in more.

She also didn't have to buy unnecessary things anymore. She didn't have to make beer or drug runs, she didn't have to buy extra food. It was horrible to think about, celebrating the financial gain of it all. But she had to count her blessings, it all kept her from going crazy.

"Let's go to the park!" Ana interrupted him, turning to stop him in their tracks. Michael looked at her oddly, a small chuckle leaving him at her behavior.

"Okay." He nodded, causing her to smile softly. He was a little confused as to why she didn't want to head home, she was normally exhausted after her shift. Ana laughed at his expression, pulling on his arm to change directions. The park was only a few minutes away from her apartment, so it didn't take them long to reach it.