Chapter One

The girl's fingers cramped together as she vigorously wrote in her worn notebook

The girl's fingers cramped together as she vigorously wrote in her worn notebook. Her candle lit room dead silent besides the sound of her scribbling. She didn't know exactly what she was drawing, she simply let her fingers do the work. This was beginning to become a normal occurrence for Anastasia. There would be an image in her head, something she couldn't quite make out, and she would have the urge to draw it. She never knew what it was until her nimble fingers dropped the number two pencil.

You see, nineteen year old Anastasia Grey had no recollection of her life before the apocalypse. In fact, the farthest back she could remember was waking up to two women staring down at her, who she would later know as, Wilhemina Venable and Miriam Mead. It had been a troublesome experience to say the least. The girl had woken up in a panic as the two intimidating women looked down at her like she had gone mad. Looking back, Anastasia couldn't blame them for their questioning looks, considering she thought she had gone mad.

She couldn't remember anything, not a damn thing, and it had felt as if someone had ripped her soul right out of her body and left her hollow. Venable had kept a stoic expression as she tried to calmly explain the situation to Anastasia. "The end of times is upon us, child." The tall woman had told her, which wasn't exactly something that calmed the frightened girl's nerves.

Venable was not a patient woman, so the panicked cries Anastasia released only infuriated the woman. Ms. Mead had taken control then. Sitting down on the girl's bed, she clasped a cold—emotionless hand against her shaky one. She had been straightforward with Ana, telling her that she had been honored by being selected to help create the new world. She told her that she was special, that she should be grateful to be given such an opportunity and to not waste her tears.

However, as much as it seemed that Venable and Mead had the answers to her questions, they could not grant the girl a reason as to why her memory was no longer in tact. "Perhaps it was the radiation?" Venable had asked her trusted partner. The only thing they really knew about her was that they were under strict orders from the cooperative to not let any harm come to Anastasia. Outpost three was to be ran and operated by Wilhelmina, and it troubled her greatly at the lack of knowledge she held for the girl. What was so special about her?

She was to be kept in a purple suite and to be treated kindly. Those had been direct orders.

As the days had gone on, the only thing Anastasia had done was wallow in her purple bed sheets. She didn't believe anything the two had told her. She believed she had been kidnapped and was bound to become a poster child. The girl had felt paralyzed with fear at the emptiness of her mind. For hours she would try to search for something, anything, as to why she was being held captive.

But much to Ana's disbelieve, Venable's words had, in fact, been of truth. One by one, more people began to show up at the outpost, and Miriam had forced her to leave the comfort of her room to socialize. Anastasia had been slightly jealous of the newcomers, because all of their memories had been in tact. As everyone finally settled into their new home, a meeting was called were Venable and Mead instructed everyone of the current situation. It was the same speech they had given Ana three days prior.