Chapter Nine

Anastasia had never felt so angry in her entire life

Anastasia had never felt so angry in her entire life. What was supposed to be a fun, thrilling night with her best friend and coworkers, turned into an absolute shit storm. She was sitting outside of her mother's room, arms crossed and her head leaned against the wall. Her feet ached from the heels she wore, her hair felt wild, and her face was sticky with old tears and mascara tracks. Overall, she looked like a train wreck.

The doctors had told Anastasia that Helena was lucky to have gotten there as quick as she had, and they established that the heroin had been freshly injected. She would be all right, as long as she stayed rested and looked after. And of course, off drugs. But Ana knew that was not going to happen. She had been terrified at the thought of losing her mother, and she felt herself crumbling piece by piece as they loaded her into the ambulance. But now, the girl was just pissed.

She was completely fed up with her mother's childish acts. Hell, she was the teenager. She was the one who you would expect to be high of their rocker, not the parent. For years she took care of her, got her everything she needed and asked for, payed the bills and kept the house up. And what did she get in return? Hospital bills and her psychotic mother on bed rest. Just another job for her to handle.

She didn't know what to do. How was she going to work and take care of Helena all at once?

The nurses were in her mother's room, settling her in for the night. She had yet to waken up, but Ana held no complaints. She stared at the wall in front of her, ignoring the perverted stares of the men who eyed her exposed legs as they passed. "Ms. Grey?"

Her tired eyes snapped to the side, and she stood up on shaky legs. "Dr. Hargrove." She greeted, feeling embarrassed by her appearance.

"Your mother is settled in." He smiled softly. "As long as her body doesn't resist the treatment we've set up for her, she should be just fine." He spoke kindly, handing her a slip of paper. "You'll need to sign these so I can issue her a prescription. It should last her two to three weeks."

Ana nodded, quickly flipping the page to scribble her name on the few dotted lines. "Thank you, doctor." She smiled weakly, handing the papers back to him.

He nodded back. "You can see her if you'd like. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." He smiled, turning to leave the girl alone. Anastasia stood frozen. Did she really want to see her mother? Or would it just amplify her anger? She shook her head in frustration, smoothing out her dress to enter the room. There were tubes off all kinds connected to her mom, beeping machines gathered around her sides. Anastasia leaned against the door, eyes gleaming. Not from tears, but from pure anger. She watched her for several moments, debating on whether or not to just leave her to fend for herself.

Eventually, she timidly made her way to the end of her mother's bed, hands gripping the metal bars harshly. She nodded to herself, preparing for the words she was about to speak.