Chapter Twenty Four

Warning!mature scenes and briefmentions of homophobia

Warning!
mature scenes and brief
mentions of homophobia

Neither of them slept that night, and Michael spent the hours showing Ana his ability. In the apartment they had sat, legs criss-crossed as the rain resumed and he levitated objects around the room. She was in awe with everything he did, and she felt more pulled to him than ever. It was unbelievable, unthinkable. And yet, it was very believable. In a way, it sort of felt relieving to Ana.

She had been waiting for the punch line, waiting for the universe to rip the floor out from under her feet. Good things tended to leave her or become tainted, they became complicated and had evil secrets. Though, this secret of Michael's did not scare her, and she was glad she finally knew the piece of himself that he had been hiding. It her feel clear and steady, she felt like that was all that there was to know.

Although, she couldn't help but travel back to the night where they had been attacked by the gunman. Michael had become a different person. She recalled the way his eyes darkened, the way his strength seemed to amplify. It had scared her, seeing that side of him. But she chalked it up to fight or flight. If he hadn't of done that, they most likely would have been shot. She would have done the same in that situation.

A whole new world seemed open to her know. If Michael was like this, were there others? What else was there that lingered in the dark? Were those scary shadows she saw in her closet as a child real, or were they figments of her imagination? She had so many questions, and Michael answered them the best he could.

Though, he kept several things out. He had a good grip on the situation, and she wasn't panicking like he thought she would be. She knew of his power, maybe not the full strength of it all, but she knew about it nonetheless. He told her about the help Miriam provided for him, that she understood him and protected him from the world. He smiled as he talked about his mother figure, and he could never truly express how grateful he was to her.

It felt like the weight of the world had been taken off his shoulders as the words poured out of his mouth, and he didn't realize just how desperate he was to tell her. He knew Ms. Mead was going to be proud of him, beginning to take control of the situation.

The next step, however, was one he didn't know how to approach. Miriam had surprised him when she was on board with it, and she had gotten started on the renovations immediately. Although, he didn't care much for the idea of Ana having a separate room. The girl was to be moving in with them, at least that's what he hoped for. She wouldn't say no, would she? He couldn't think of a reason for it.

Her apartment was small, cramped and cold. And he didn't care much for the residents of the building. The creepy men that lived there always stared at Ana, and he had to keep himself from tearing out their tongues. She deserved better than that, and he intended to for see that.