Chapter Eleven

She could feel the intensity of the fire on her face, the way it made her hair sizzle and people around her scream

She could feel the intensity of the fire on her face, the way it made her hair sizzle and people around her scream. Her breath was leaving her in heavy pants, her heels clicking against the tile floor as she ran. Her eyes stormed every room and every corner for him, calling out his name in weak cries fearfully.

She could feel her entire facade dropping, the one that bottled up her feelings and pretended that they didn't exist. She could feel it crumbling, washing away like dirt under her nails as the white colored walls were set aflame.

There was an unfamiliar boy by her side, but the longer she stared at him, she could slowly recognize that strong wave of black hair that laid slightly against his shoulders. His grip on her hand was tight, leaving her no room for arguments as he dragged her away from the scene.

She was screaming, pulling, begging for him to let her go, and the words that her lover had spoken to her echoed in her ear; "I'll find you."

~~~

She would usually jump start awake after a nightmare, but her body made no reactions this time. Her eyes peeled open softly, and she swallowed as she looked to the sleeping boy who laid against her bare, sheet covered chest. There was a sick, sinister feeling in her stomach, and she could feel nausea brewing in her throat as she wiped sweat away from her forehead.

Her dream slowly came back to her bits at a time, and she froze as she tried to get her breathing back on track. The dream was different than what she usually dreamt of, and she was filled with more fear and confusion than usual. And even though she was confused, she could remember it all clearly.

She sat up slowly, removing his arm off of her as her hair fell over in waves. She tightened the sheet around herself, bringing her knees to her chest as she stared out the window. It wasn't just a little dream that came in random bits with no meaning. No, this latched on to her, and she took a shaky breath as her hand found his beside her.

Whatever it was, she didn't like it. All those feelings she felt in her dream, she felt now. The building had seemed so familiar, and apart of her wanted to think that it was the cooperative. But why would the cooperative be set on fire? Of course, fire could be started by the most random of things. For example: perhaps Miriam were to leave a burner on while she baked and baked away. Maybe Jeff's computer got overheated from the amount of porn he was watching. Maybe a cigarette wasn't put out properly.

But the thing was, none of those reasons felt right. It felt vicious and violent, like the flames were set to destroy and harm everything she loved. And it wasn't just a dream, this did not feel like a dream. And who was that boy? She had seen him before, but she couldn't picture his name.

She sat there, sweat rolling off of her and breathing shallow and weak. Her hair stuck to the sides of her neck, and her lips parted as her hands shook. She could practically feel the heat of the flames on her face, and she groaned as nausea over powered her. She hurriedly jumped up from the bed, carrying the sheet loosely with her as she scurried off to the bathroom.