Chapter 7. Flying Balls

We walked into a huge gym. Basket ball hoops on all of the corners. The concrete walls painted the school colors, which were blue and gray. On the opposite sides of the gym, we're the locker rooms. I saw a lady approach me.

"You Alex?" She asked.

"Um yes" I replied.

"Here you go, take this slip and go to the back and get a uniform" she said smiling.

I could tell she was trying to make me feel comfortable. So I took it and went to the back. Luke was still following me. There was a guy standing in front of a huge pill of red shirts and gray running shorts.

"Size" the man said.

"Oh I guess small" I awnser.

He threw the clothes at me then nodded toward the dressing room. Luke and I walked out from the back and went to the separate changing rooms.

I quickly got dressed then put my hair onto a pony tail. I tied my shoes and then I was out of there. I saw Luke sitting on the floor chatting with his friends from before school. So I went to the teacher and asked her were to sit. She said behind Calum. I had no clue who he was.

"Oh I forgot, you don't know very many people,  Calum raise your hand!" The teacher said.

I saw a guy with black hair and chubby checks raise his hand. I slowly walked over to him and sat down behind him.

"Hi I'm Calum, I heard you met Michael and Luke" he said " Well that's Ashton" he nodded to a slightly shorter guy with kind of curly hair and glasses.

"Now you know everyone in our squad" he said laughing.

"Thank you, you all seem really nice but you probably don't want to be friends with me.

This caused there heads to turn around.

"What?" All four guys said an almost perfect union.

"Hey, you like cool music and you can engage in a conversation" said Michael

"Ya from what I've gathered from you so far is that your shorter than most of the people here, your cute, and you like good music" said Ashton.

I felt my cheeks flare red.

"Ya, you seem like if you wanted to you could beet the shit out of someone" Calum said.

"I just really like you" Luke said.

"Uh thanks for all the compliments, I know I totally deserve all of them" I said sarcastically.

"See your funny to" Luke added.

Then class started. The teacher said that we would be playing dodgeball.  Then she said since there where 35 students now we would get in seven groups of five. I didn't know what group I was going to be in. Maybe with the kid who has glasses, he seemed friendly. I saw all four guys turn to face me in a circle. Ashton turned to the teacher and said " We have our group."

We were playing in a double elimination tournament. Our team had already played 5 games and hadn't lost yet. Only one more game left till the championship game. Of course when we played our final game I was the first person to get out. Just like in every other game. Finally we ending up beating the other team which meant we would play in the championships.

The them we were playing against was mostly guys but a couple girls. I noticed one of the was a girl beating me up earlier. Becka I think her name was. This was a perfect chance to get her back.

"Come on just throw the ball Alex" he said half laughing at me.

"You know I can't throw or dodge for that matter" I replied.

"Well if we're going to compete in the tournament we need to practice" he said.

"Can you help me" I said.

"I would but this is know time for flirting" he said coming closer to me. He pulled me into a huge hug.

"I'll see you later okay babe" and with that he left.

Snap out of it. Was all I could say. We were starting in 10 seconds. 9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.. GO! The whole team ran for the balls trying to get as many as possible on out side. This time I would not get out. I threw the dodgeball extremely fast. Way faster then I had ever thrown before. Michael looked at me and gave me a thumbs up when he saw I got someone out. Before I knew it was only me and Luke on the cort. The other team only had one more player. Becka.  Becka threw the ball at Luke which he almost caught but then ended up droping. It was only me and her. She kept throwing balls which I kept hiting off of the one I was holding.  Only one more ball on my side. I picked it up and launched before closing my eyes. When I opened them I saw Ashton and Michael running towards me, smiling.  I had one. All of the guys started hugging me except for Luke who stood staring at me bitting his lip ring.

Then teacher told us to go get dressed.  When I was about to walk into the dressing room, I felt someone grab my wrist.  It was Luke he was staring at it. I had forgot to put something on my cuts. He Luke dragged me into a little room full of gym equipment and then pulled me and him to sitting on the ground.  He was still looking at my arm.

"How long ago did you cut" he asked me.

I stayed silent. 

"I asked you a question" he looked at me with concerned eyes.

"One day ago, why?" I said taking my arm back and folding it across my chest.

"Alex, are you okay?" He asked me.

"No but I'm on meds so it okay" I tried to smile.

Luke pulled up the sleeves of the jacket he was wearing to reveal cuts of his own. He's left arm was really bad. The cuts almost bleeding right then.

"Don't hurt your self like that at okay, the scars won't go away if you go deep enough" he looked at me.

"I can tell were going to be very close" he said pulling me into a tight hug.

"Can I get dressed now?" I said in a joking tone.

"Why of course" he said.

Maybe today wasn't going to be as bad as I thought it would.